Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stock bottom end 350 ,vortec heads with 202 valves,comp 490 lift 270 dur,performer rpm, 1406 edelbrock carb...700r4 3.08 gear just wondering if this carb is going to be good with this engine or should i be looking for something else now that my motor is done,it needs some jetting work,,running a little rich,,but how much power am i wasting running this carb if any....thanks cranker

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
You're going to find lots of different opinions on this one. Some people despise the Edelbrocks, some people love them. I used to hate Holleys but I have one on my Nova and it runs GREAT. I have the Eddy. 1406 on my '72 C10 with a GM 350 HO engine and that thing runs like a scalded dog! So... to answer your question, the 1406 should be plenty of carb for your motor, just get it dialed in and you should be golden.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've run a few Carter AFBs and AVSs (the Edelbrock's grandparents) and always liked them. Very good street manners. Like any carb they come with a universal calibration that needs to be tuned to your engine. They make a calibration kit with some pretty good instructions. A vacuum gage mounted inside the car is a very helpful tool. I would consider them equal to an equivalent size vacuum secondary Holley.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide between a 600 Edelbrock or a 670 Holley Street Avenger. If you read some of my other posts you will see I have been having problems with a Carter that I've got. I put an old Quadrajet I have on and run it and the stumble was gone. I was going to rework it and run it but I don't really want to put that much money in it. I'd rather buy a new one. I like the Edelbrocks and they are very popular. I've been to a lot of car shows the last couple of years and it's the most common one that I see. I don't know about the vacuum secondaries of the Holley. Some people don't like them and some do. I want to make sure I get the right one. I'm tired of screwing around with the carburetor on this thing.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
stock bottom end 350 ,vortec heads with 202 valves,comp 490 lift 270 dur,performer rpm, 1406 edelbrock carb...700r4 3.08 gear just wondering if this carb is going to be good with this engine or should i be looking for something else now that my motor is done,it needs some jetting work,,running a little rich,,but how much power am i wasting running this carb if any....thanks cranker
Eddy's don't like too much fuel pressure...I had a 1406 on a mild 355, cleaned up nicely with a regulator.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The only issue is the carb the right size?

The Edelbrock 1406 or even a Holley 1850 are both 600cfm

it's crazy, you had ask if a 600 Holley was big enough every tom.**** & harry would say "NO"

The "COULD USE MORE CARB"

IMO you have maxed your potential with the 600CFM carb.

Option.

A great choice would be a VAC Secondary 750 Holley
Being a VAC secondary carb, it will dictate the CFM it wants and when it wants. The most CFM you can slam to it is 375cfm, the other 375CFM will be dictated by the engine load and air velocity. It could use it all or part.

The good thing is, as you build more into the engine(if you choose) the carb will automatically adjust itself to engine needs.

Which carb is best? Edelbrock or Holley is as big as Ford/Chevy.

One thing you can guarantee, a Holley is easy tunned (IF NEEDED) Most people **** with a Carb for entertainment only to make things worse.

IMO
Al

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Eddy's don't like too much fuel pressure...I had a 1406 on a mild 355, cleaned up nicely with a regulator.
i just changed my fuel pump from a carter 6-8psi electric to a cheapo stock replacement mechanical and it runs great now with my 1411 eddy, must be around 5 psi stock. Id go for the 670 street anvenger, good out of the box.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i agree with Al, i think 600 cfm is maxing it out. you could run it and not hurt anything but you will not gain anymore performance. I myself am a Holley guy but have ran prety much every carb out there. i explain it to people like this. if you want good mpg and good streetability an edelbrock will work great. but if you want performance and are willing to (posibly) lose a mpg or two but gain in the seat of the pant than i recomend a holley. the 670 S/A carbs are great for a well balanced or eqaul medium if you will between the two. on a side not i love a good ol double pumper. love the crisp throttle response and instant power!:yes:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I had a mild SBC years ago; just under what you have. I had a Holley 600VAC secondary carb on it and it ran really good. I swapped it for a Holley 750double pumper and the car felt much faster and picked at the track. That was with a lower geared car and a stick.
I vote with Big Al Holley 750 VAC secondary carb is the ticket for your car. GM used them on lots of SBC engines in the 780 cfm range.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have an Eddy 750 on my '70 GMC 350. Stock heads with a big cam. Performs great but is rich at idle. I have a Eddy 1406 on a milder (cam) 350 in my '66. The 1406 is a "good in all 50 states" carb. Can't say as I'm love with it. Can't explain but I just feel that there should be something more. With jets and a step-up spring you can turn it into a 1405 which is Eddy's more street performance carb. Before I change it though my first step is to try to measure my cam and take a vaccum test. Then ask a professional, which I am not.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I have been working on cars for many decades. The biggest problem with any carb is the adjustment and condition. If you buy a used carb, go through it. Not just gaskets, but check all the linkage/throw settings to specs. The Linkage adjustments are usually listed in good rebuild kits. See my experience with a Used Carb rebuild. It is a good idea to double check linkages on a new one also.

Each carb has its strengths and weakness as you see by the various answers.

How well the car breathes and Max RPM you run at matters also. My 350 is set for 5500 RPM max, a 600 to 670 CFM is good. If you want to turn 7000 RPM, then a 700-750 CFM may be needed.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Which one is going to have more of a punch? A vacuum secondary carb or the Edelbrock. Don't the Holley vacuum secondaries come in gradually instead of all at once. I've heard some people say that a Holley vacuum secondary will not have the punch that a good Quadrajet will. My dad has a Holley #1850 600 cfm
on his Model A street rod and he hates it. He did the conversion on the back plate so he could use jets but he still doesn't care for it.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You know how you can tell if you carb is too small and a restriction to airflow? Observe manifold vacuum at peak load. If you are pulling a significant vacuum at WOT then the carb is too small. If you aren't then the carb size is not the problem.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well I ordered the Edelbrock today. Should have it Monday and I hope this is the last one I have to buy. I'm tired of messing with it.

·
14,588 Posts
The Eddy 1406 600 cfm carb is an emissions/mileage carb. The Eddy 1405 is the performance 600 cfm. I would step up to a 750 cfm by the manufacturer of your choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts