Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is from a Chevelle 12 bolt with drum brakes. Is this part bent? Sure looks bent to me but maybe that's how it's supposed to be???? What is the proper name for it? I've looked at every Chevelle restoration site I can find but cannot locate this part. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not sure the exact name for that lug plate welded onto the backing plate...but I do know you won't find it as a seperate service part.....you'll only get it as a backing plate assembly, since it is spot welded to the backing plate.
You can either attempt to straighten things back up and tack weld it down, or just replace the entire backing plate with a good used or a new one.
It would take some more inspection to determine if just the lug plate is bent, or if the entire backing plate is also bent. If you do decide to rework it, use the other good one from the opposite side as a reference. The big pivot pin/stud unbolts from the backside, removing it will make it easier to press things back flat. I wouldn't try to fix it on the housing, I'd remove it to hammer/press/clamp it back nto shape.
Pairs of new backing plates are avaialble, $115+/pair, same plate fits '64-77 Chevelle, Nova, Camaro 10 or 12 bolt with 9-1/2" brake drums.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Looks bent to me too.. I wonder if the car was in as accident where the wheel might have been hit hard enough to bend the axle shaft and in turn the backing plate.. I would inspect this carefully.. Those backing plates don’t bend easily. It took some significant forces to bend it up like that..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not sure the exact name for that lug plate welded onto the backing plate...but I do know you won't find it as a seperate service part.....you'll only get it as a backing plate assembly, since it is spot welded to the backing plate.
First off this is from a Chevelle 12 bolt with drum brakes. Is this part bent? Sure looks bent to me but maybe that's how it's supposed to be???? What is the proper name for it? I've looked at every Chevelle restoration site I can find but cannot locate this part. Thanks in advance
That plate comes as part of a complete backing plate---it's purpose is to keep the wheel cylinder pistons from blowing out the ends of their bore in the event that a holdown pin on the shoes rots off or springs come apart. it does look bent---look at//compare to the other side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like the spot weld let go on one side. I had this happen to me on a ‘67 Chevelle. I think the pressure pitched it to one side after the weld let go, causing it to sit ****-eyed. New backing plate is what you need.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well everyone I got it fixed. Pulled the axle to inspect the cockeyed part. It appears that the spot weld let go once upon a time. I was able to get it back into position quite easily and welded it into position. Thank you everyone for your help it's appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts