Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to reinstalling the front fenders on my '72 and I can't remember how the inner fenders attach to the core support. The assembly manual is a bit vague (or perhaps I can't read).
Does the inner fender attach under the filler panel and it's stiffener or does it sandwich between the core support and the outer flange and the filler panel?
Please look at the pix and advise.
Thx

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mark. One thing that has led to my confusion is that my u-nuts were on the rad support flange and not the inner fenders. I left them on when the support went out to powder coat.
I think you are right about the order of assembly but that means mine was assembled incorrectly.
I'll move the u-nuts.
I appreciate the help......

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I picked them up today.......it's only been a year.
The painter still has the hood so maybe in 2015 I'll drive over to Lodi.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Alf? If you look closely at the drawing Jmark provided, the tinnerman nuts are shown on the Rad Support.
Now, I'm not saying Jmark is wrong - no way! Because what he suggests makes sense considering water splash/spray/flow. You don't want moisture laying between your parts at the joining point(s).
Personally, I'd leave the nuts where they are and just reverse the filler panel and the inner fender with each other (rad support on top with nuts). Your car/your call.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Taco - No worries, I thought the same thing but I talked myself into thinking that curved line to the right represented the inner fender which then appeared to make it look like it is on top. I think the recessed spots on the inner fender where the 4 holes are in the front were meant to compensate for the clips thickness even though they are not very thick. I went through the manual and I could not find any diagrams of that area.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark n Taco,
I called a friend and he says his inners are on top (thus the J-nuts are on the inner fenders) so, I don't know what to think.
Taco, I get your point about water intrusion, that makes sense.
I painted the inside of the fenders today and have another day to think about it......

·
Registered
112 Posts
My car is set up as Alf describes. With the J-nuts on inner fenders. The core support, plastic filler and metal reinforcement panel faces all come together, with no gaps or pressure points that could affect the plastic filler.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Hey Alf . . . . you got me thinking . . . plus, the other day , I was out at my 73 Nova parts car , taking off a part - - and, I still had the left front 'inner fender skirt' ; and, those "fender - skirt clips" were still on there.
A picture is worth something . . . so, I took a couple for u , John .
This is a 73 Nova (original skirt) , L/F side - - for u'r pleasure .

# 2

#3 - - L / F picture on my 69 - - - which I know is original . Kinda blurr . . . camera focused on the wires . But, you can see "the Clip & Bolt" ( same as pic # 1 & 2 ).

Holy-crap . . . . this was also a "shot at installing pictures onto SNS" . Drag a picture from u'r desk-top right over to u'r post here on SNS .
So, the New site works Grrrreeeaat .

John, I think those clips will go almost any-way you need them . . . . never be seen by anyone . . . . .
just make it easy for yourself . . . . . work's for me, buddy . . . . . jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts