Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought this motor off a friend it was in a race truck.its a 355w/10.5 to 1,double hump heads,vic jr and a 750hp double pumper.the cam is a comp cam 306s with .555 lift.solid it has 260 dur at .050.he said it idled around 1000 rpm w/th350 & 3600 stall.does any body know if this will work ok w/ a 5 speed and 3:73 gears in my 72 nova?or should i go with somthing smaller for the street?the truck ran 11.50-11.60s.so it should be fun anyway.thanks

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Too much cam??? No such thing!!! Lol...I think that thing will run like a raped ape. Go for it!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
his truck most likely weighed in around 4500 pounds assuming it was full size that engine with a manual trans would be great. I would guess that you would need to launch it around 3800-4000 rpm given you are running a slick at the track. as for an all around cruising engine, it may be a little to much cam and intake but would work if you want to keep the set up. I can vouch for a similar set up but I run the edelbrock performer rpm cam and intake with more compression

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
if my car is idleing around 950 what would be a normal drop in rpm when put in gear??
depends on converter. if it's a stock converter something like 150-200rpm drop. some aftermarket converters might not drop more than 50rpm. you could come to a light and not have your foot on the brake and the car might stay still.

with a stick (which is the way you should be looking) you have a whole different ball game...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
his truck most likely weighed in around 4500 pounds assuming it was full size that engine with a manual trans would be great. I would guess that you would need to launch it around 3800-4000 rpm given you are running a slick at the track. as for an all around cruising engine, it may be a little to much cam and intake but would work if you want to keep the set up. I can vouch for a similar set up but I run the edelbrock performer rpm cam and intake with more compression
sorry his truck was a 78 Luv truck that weighed 2950 on the scales.so mine would be slower.but i have N2O set up to make up the weight differance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts