·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visible Body
• Sand to bare metal one panel at a time
• Clean and apply bondo: sand down: repeat until even
• Clean and apply epoxy primer : lightly scuff : repeat
• Apply high build primer (2K urethane) : sand : repeat (twice if necessary)
• Block sand : repeat any primer if necessary
• Wet sand

Under Front fenders
• Sand to bare metal
• Clean and apply epoxy primer : scuff and repeat
• Paint Black

Inner fenders (Front) / Rear fender Wells
• Sand to bare metal
• Apply a sealant where the skin meets the inner wheel well (Drives side will have a new skin patch and inner well)
• Clean and apply epoxy primer : scuff and repeat
• Apply truck bed coating (Good idea or something better; I want it to repel scratches and chips)

I will be using a sand blaster only on the areas I can’t reach by hand and where it may be really rusted, but (hopefully) all of the visible body paint will be removed down to bare metal with a DA sander and ~80 grit paper with a higher grit when almost to bare metal. All liquid materials will be either PPG or Eastwood.

I would really appreciate your input, I just started on the original front fender I bought; I started by using a DA sander and after a while thought... screw it, I am getting a media blaster to get to these tight spots -->

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Ask 10 guys get 10 different answers to these type questions usually. I chemical stripped, sand blasted and replaced the body panels as needed. Scuffed the new panels and applied epoxy primer to everything. I repaired the roof to quarters joint since it was so bad due to replacing the full quarters. Since the car is pretty straight with every peice of exterior metal being new I am now applying some hi build primer and I'll use filler and glaze on that. Block it and reprime it til it's straight. Wet sand and paint it. That's how I do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts