Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/1288138888.html
What do you guys think? I need an overdrive tranny for my 63 wagon with a 350. My initial plan was to go with a 200-4R transmission from Bowtie Overdrives but the more I think about it the more I realize that there is no way I will be able to afford a transmission from them anytime soon at around $2500 shipped to my door with all the necessary cables, brackets etc.
I did some research on 200-4R vs. 700-R4 and the 200-4R seemed like it would be better for my street driving and smaller so it will bolt right in like the TH350. I can't seem to find a 200-4R and I figured that for $150 I can get this unit, have a friend of mine who does transmissions go over it, clean the internals up, freshen it up, throw a shift kit in it and let it roll.
Opinions on this year and transmission?
Remember, it's going in a 63 Wagon with a 350 and going to be a daily driver and I am going for reliable and fuel mileage. When I say daily driver, I mean DAILY driver (50 miles a day) and long trips to the beach (250 miles and more).
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Just be careful with the firebird, camaro, and corvette transmissions. My brother had problems with one in a blazer he bought. Turns out the mounts are on each side of the tailshaft, not mounted downwards like normal ones. Also, the 200-4r will bolt right in with the same driveshaft as the one you have now. It is the same length as the powerglide and short tail 350. The 700 is the same length as the LONG tail 350 used in trucks. Also, the 200-4r will mount using a th-400 crossmember. All you have to do is extend the holes 1/8-1/4"

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Sorry, I am a bit confused. What do you mean the mounts? Is there a common problem with this?
Know how the transmission mount bolts are pointed down, aka vertically on your car now? Some F-body/vette transmissions mounted using bolts facing left or right, aka horizontally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts