Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another thread on here and I'll be having to have my starter replaced so will be making an appointment
soon. I also need my exhaust system replaced(some of the pipes have holes and besides being noisy, it's affecting
performance) and the floor pans. I was hoping to wait until I got enough money saved up to get the floor pans done
first but it looks like I can't wait. If I get the exhaust pipes replaced and then, in a year or so, I can get the floor pans
replaced, can the pipes be saved or do they all have to be scrapped?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I removed my pipes while welding in new floor pans, along with other projects.
Based in your post I suggest you ensure your new exhaust is clamped together not welded so you can take it off if need be and reuse when you replace your floor pans.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed my pipes while welding in new floor pans, along with other projects.
Based in your post I suggest you ensure your new exhaust is clamped together not welded so you can take it off if need be and reuse when you replace your floor pans.

Great idea. I didn't know that could be done. I'll suggest it to the garage. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
1,953 Posts
I like the band clamps instead of the U-bolt style, much easier to take apart.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep band and or butt clamps are the way to go.👍

OK. Thank you. I made an appt for next Thursday to get the starter replaced and to determine what is causing it to have been covered in oil. When I mentioned replacing the
exhaust system with clamps because I was going to eventually get the floor pans replaced he said it wouldn't interfere with that being done even if the pipes were welded. They could
get around it without having to take the pipes outs. I didn't get that impression from the replies here so just wanted to double check if that really is the case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the shop is capable of doing the floor removing and rewelding a weld a exhaust system should not be a issue for them. I would take it out of the way just to ease installation of the floor pan. it would be one less thing to mask when undercutting the new floor.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the shop is capable of doing the floor removing and rewelding a weld a exhaust system should not be a issue for them. I would take it out of the way just to ease installation of the floor pan. it would be one less thing to mask when undercutting the new floor.

No. They're not into that. Just mechanical. On a waiting list(2 years) to get the floor pans replaced at another shop that deals in restoration. There's shops in the city but they're sky-high.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I agree along the lines with Sudden_impulse. If you bolt your exhaust pipes to the header flange, and the weld it all the way back to in front of the rear axle. Then at the rear axle clamp it again (or flange). This allows you to remove the entire middle section of your exhaust system. This is super beneficial when running an X or H pipe.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
According to the garage, the whole exhaust set up needs to be replaced - front to back. I'm in Canada and was told by the garage that these parts can only be ordered from the US. No source in Canada for exhaust pipes, muffler for '73 Chevy Nova four-door sedans?

·
Registered
375 Posts
According to the garage, the whole exhaust set up needs to be replaced - front to back. I'm in Canada and was told by the garage that these parts can only be ordered from the US. No source in Canada for exhaust pipes, muffler for '73 Chevy Nova four-door sedans?
Your choice of muffler is like choosing which instrument you’d like to hear. It just depends on what sort of music you’d like tomake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts