Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy who used to be a mechanic before he switched occupations, has made me an offer.

I have a '70 Nova project with a 350 and a powerglide, not running, that I haven't started on because I'm working overseas. He offered to sell me the original 350 engine out of his '72 Chevelle with TH350 for $500. Engine and trans are running fine, he just wants to get a bigger engine. He will help me switch the engine and trans out. The idea is that I could rebuild my own 350 at my leisure (read learn from scratch) and still drive my wheels around town.

The Nova engine is not the original. It was made in '74 (vin 14C150719 code V0218CMD) and has been sitting for the last 16 years, but it is in Texas where things take forever to fall apart. Was supposed to have been working "ok" when parked.

I feel like saying deal before he changes his mind. But I don't like to decide things without consideration.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thats a good deal, Id jump on it, your powerglide is not a good trans to use for a muscle car anyway, its only good for grandma or a race car, the th350 is nice and will bolt right in. The 74'engine is fine, the only problem using the 72' 350 is the heads arent hardened for unleaded gas the 74' on up are, but you could put the 74' heads on the 72' engine easy. I say go for it!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I see no downside to it. As long as it is a runner, and will bolt in and run, you can spend a little money now to get the car on the road, with help. Then take your time and build the kind of motor you want with the one you have now. Race, torque, mild, the sky would be the limit.

Tiny

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the warm and fuzzy. As a a newbie, I am afraid to make foolish mistakes. I appreciate you helping me out with your experience.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
The only thing I can think of that would make this NOT a no-brainer would be accessory mounting holes. I'm assuming that you'll be re-using your original alternator/PS/AC stuff. Sometimes there are differences in what mounting holes are drilled and tapped between different blocks. I'd still go for it, but keep an eye on that, you may need to come up with a new accessory mount setup.

That's a relatively minor problem though, sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
$500 for a motor and trans in good working order sounds like a decent deal.

Good Luck

James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts