Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to order carpet from Classic Industries and they offer three different carpet kits for a '72 Nova:

4-speed
Automatic trans 2-door
Automatic trans 4-door

Their info. states that no holes are pre-cut in the carpet, so the difference can't be that a hole is cut for the 4-spd. shifter. Does an automatic car have a different transmission hump in the floor and they're offering different carpet to fit these different humps? I've never noticed a difference. Classic Ind. is the only place I've found that sells different carpet for 4-spd. vs. automatic trans cars, but I don't understand why???:confused:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, so why on earth would they offer two different carpet kits? I called them but the sales guy had no idea.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The 4-speed trans hump has a raised area that is added...its for the shifter boot. The hump itself is the same. Im thinking that maybe the carpet for the 4-speed has a place molde into it for that raised area.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
To expand on Colin's thought...I would think the difference has to do with a console car, since the carpet would have to go over the console hump. A non console car would be the same as an auto on the column.

·
Super Moderator
7,176 Posts
Here's my carpet from Classic before it went into my 4spd '69. It is a pre-molded 2-piece carpet, and does have the "hump" molded in. I don't know why the auto. would be any different, because both have to fit over the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hey, you got the seat tracks in the wrong body :D
M

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Colin said:
The 4-speed trans hump has a raised area that is added...its for the shifter boot. The hump itself is the same. Im thinking that maybe the carpet for the 4-speed has a place molde into it for that raised area.
That makes sense, I hadn't thought about the contour of the floor on console cars. I just bought new carpet a year ago and didn't have these choices, there was just black carpet for a 2-door Nova. I'm having to buy it again because I installed a Tremec 5-spd. and the shifter location is different.

Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
71SS said:
Told those tracks to get out and walk to PA but they refused!! Just like kids, they never listen!!:D
I can be there this week end to drag them back to PA Kickin and screaming! Then I'll bolt them to the floor of my car to make sure they don't go any where! :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
71SS said:
Console vs non console.

( pics snipped )
QUOTE]

are those the floor mounts offered by Chevy 2 only ?

Look good in there, not the same as the brakcets in my 68, so curious , would make a swap to buckets a lot easier than having to weld in that huge center mount that goes over the hump ( which I also have out of a 74 SS car ).

~ AL

ps: agree on the carpet, difference is likely " has shifter / console hump " , or " no irregular shifter protrusions " ( which would be either column shift or non-console stick car with the curved bezel .) .

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I guess what my question is,On the factory 4 speed shifters 'non-console,'(buckets or bench) was the shifter handle longer then the 'console shifter' or same height?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts