Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if in the summer time running straight water will cool the engine better? I have a 2 core alum radiator and high flow pump. Didnt know if using straight water would keep the engine cooler disapating the heat faster or if I should mix it.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Water alone is the best coolant. antifreeze is only for corrosion and freeze protection.

·
Registered
488 Posts
like he said, water is the best for cooling. But you do need antifreeze for other thing like lubrication, raise water boiling point or lower freeze point depending where you live. it also keeps system from rusting obviously. You could try a 75% water 25% coolant.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
With aluminum you need some corrosion protection. Water wetter is great stuff. I use that and distilled water. JR

·
Registered
932 Posts
well maybe this is a buzzin responce "back from the bar"
just watter is a supurbe cooling agent, but do remember thoes freak nights when the tempature drops and you wish you had some anti freezzze in there.
i can concure about the waterwetter folmula stuff it works great but never looked into if it acts like an antifreezze or not

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
If i was going to use just water I would use some water wetter strictly for corrosion protection (if that is one of its benefits). I saw zero drop in temp when i put it in.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Just curious if in the summer time running straight water will cool the engine better? I have a 2 core alum radiator and high flow pump. Didnt know if using straight water would keep the engine cooler disapating the heat faster or if I should mix it.
Straight distilled water is better, but for a street car, you'll need to consider lubrication for the water pump and corrosion resistance, which are what the antifreeze typically provides besides its namesake. There are other coolant lubrication and anti-corrosion products available.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
anti-freeze is needed at 50%

I would never run 100% water in a cooling system. The anti corrosion additive protects not just the radiator but the block, heater core, water pump, etc. Cast iron will rust up in an instant. I use water wetter in my diesel along with antifreeze, for lubrication.
If you need to run cooler, there are better ways to address that problem. If you have the correct radiator, fan, shroud, water pump, etc, etc. that is what it takes to control cooling. The coolant is only an agent to carry the heat to the radiator, it's the job of the other components to dissipate the heat.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
With aluminum you need some corrosion protection. Water wetter is great stuff. I use that and distilled water. JR
i want to chime in about the use of distilled water, because i'm confused now about what is best?:confused:
i've been reading on websites as well as in recent magazines, about the use of distilled water......some people/ companies say to use distilled water, with an additive like purple ice or water wetter for protection.
but then others are saying use regular/ tap water with the additive because the distilled has removed particles that combat corrosion/ electrolysis...:turn:

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Why is this being so overcomplicated? Millions and millions of cars use a mixture of antifreeze and water. If your car runs hot it's not because your using distilled instead of tap water, or because your not using Water Wetter. Just use a coolant water mixture like recommended on the bottle and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Why is this being so overcomplicated? Millions and millions of cars use a mixture of antifreeze and water. If your car runs hot it's not because your using distilled instead of tap water, or because your not using Water Wetter. Just use a coolant water mixture like recommended on the bottle and be done with it.
i was only interested in the difference because a lot of tracks would prefer if you didn't run antifreeze! and i'm trying to keep my engine from corroding or rusting from the minerals in the water......

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
i want to chime in about the use of distilled water, because i'm confused now about what is best?:confused:
i've been reading on websites as well as in recent magazines, about the use of distilled water......some people/ companies say to use distilled water, with an additive like purple ice or water wetter for protection.
but then others are saying use regular/ tap water with the additive because the distilled has removed particles that combat corrosion/ electrolysis...:turn:
Im not sure about the corrosion protection of tap water. I do know it contains alot of minerals, ever hear yer hot water heater in the house sounding like its tumbling rocks in it? Minerals boiling up and down, they are rocks. And not to mention the huge amount of chlorine for municipal areas. And if yer on a mix of well water and river water (So. Cal.) then there is alot of iron oxide in there too. Well water is the worst if thats yer tap water.

Distilled water or de-ionized water works great. I worked on a multi million dollar weapon system and we had a complex de-ionizer system that fed chilled water to all the electronic gear. Talk about clean water. Its non conductive, the minerals and junk in water is what makes it conductive with electricity.

So, Im in So cal, no cold temps, no anti-freeze needed. So some distilled water and water wetter is ALL thats needed. Keep it simple Im thinking. JR

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
LOL Whats so complicated about getting a couple jugs of distilled water from yer grocery store. Yer crackin me up.

Yeah, millions use antifreeze. Ya know why??? Cause millions are spent marketing the tasty green liquid. And the simple consumers like the sales pitch so they buy it. Bet the auto parts stores and walmarts have antifreeze lining the shelves in Albuquerque. NM JR

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Plain water cools better than antifreeze does. That is a plain and simple fact. Use water wetter, purple ice or the many other additive products to further the cooling ability. These products also help lube the pump.

Race tracks DO NOT like it when you run anti freeze!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
That's what I've used. Dropped the temp right away. I now use the expensive red antifreeze for new cars, due to the aluminum components. If you just use water, the aluminum develops that slimey garbage on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts