Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
63 Hdtop, 350, 700-R4 trans, 4:11 rear end.

Trans was a used purchase a couple of years ago. Spent $100 on it, and bought a Evil-Bay 2500 stall Torque converter. It's been running pretty decent past few years, with no issues.

Took the car out on Saturday. After about 3 miles or so, started to smell like burning rubber. Parked car at Sonic (my destination), got lunch, drove home. Same smell. Looked all in engine compartment and underneath for any sign of rubber or wiring hitting exhaust and melting.. Nothing. Looked for tires rubbing anywhere.. nothing.

Took car out again yesterday. Same thing after a couple miles. When I punch it, smell got worse. Shifted fine, but was a definite rubber burning smell. Again, looking around, still nothing obvious.

A couple years ago, when I was setting up the TV cable, I took pressure readings. Got the following

TV Cable OFF
P = 70 psi
R = 110 PSI
N = 70
D = 70
3 = 70
2 = 125
1 = 120

TV cable ON
P = 75
R = 120
N = 80
D = 80
3 = 80
2 = 120
1 = 120

According to the charts I've seen on line, some of my numbers may be a little high.

Could this rubber burning smell be transmission related? It still shifts fine, and doesn't slip (at least not yet).

Not a total loss if it's giving up the ghost, because I only have, like $250 total in it, with the cheap TC from Evil-Bay.

Mike

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't checked the fluid, because honestly, I wasn't thinking tranny.. Was checking all over for tire rub, or rubber/plastic touching headers or exhaust etc..

Wasn't until last night, lying in bed, that I got to thinking about tranny. I'll check fluid this evening for burnt smell, but dropping pan will have to wait until Saturday.

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Mike

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fluid looks great.. like new. Full and no burnt smell.

So, Im going to keep hunting for the source. Just seems weird... no tire rub, and nothing dripping, nothing touching exhaust etc...

Mike

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I don't recall ever smelling burning rubber from a transmission going bad, typically oil or transmission fluid doesn't smell like rubber when burning. This is not to say this isn't happening, but it sounds more like you may have rubber on the exhaust, possibly caught in front of the collector. This would explain why it's worse when you're on the throttle too. Try having a buddy drive behind you to look for any smoke.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas guys... Im going to look all through it, front to back this weekend. I've only burnt up one tranny and that was like, 35 years ago, so just thought it was a possibility...

Looks like the $100 tranny is still okay.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts