Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody, I have a question regarding my Novas drag racing et's it's a 67 nova with a 4 bolt 350, 194 fuelie heads that are ported and have 2.02 valves, it's the comp cams 12-468-8 cam I believe in it, th350 with 2000 stall converter, .273 open rear end, the car is running 15.20's which i feel like is really underperforming forthe build. It has ramhorn manifolds with 2 inch exhaust. Has msd ignition and distributor Thank you guys

·
Registered
405 Posts
The short answer is: Yes, your setup is all wrong for running the strip faster than 15's.

I feel like your absolute biggest choke point is those gears; 2.73's are super tall and hard to push any car down the track quickly. Close second goes to the super tight 2,000 stall converter; the engine doesn't get to make any grunt until you're further down the line, compounded by the gears. What are the casting numbers on the heads? Something tells me that your cam choice is also way, way too radical for your engine build without knowing more about it. What's the bottom end made up of?

For that setup, low 15's to high 14's is about right. With gears and a converter, you'd probably drop a full second or two no problem, even if the bottom end is a stock smogger motor with low compression.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First I would put a 3.23-3.42 posi in there. I feel those give good street ability and decent for occasional passes. Then maybe a set of headers. What carb and intake are you running? a 650dp and Performer RPM or any other hi rise dual plane intake would work well.

Searched your cam and it's on the big side. 220-230 duration @ .050 would be good. A 2500 stall would help the engine to get up into the rpm range it starts making power but I think if you go with around 220 @ .050 your 2000 converter would work

·
Registered
188 Posts
As stated sounds like way too much cam for that motor. To give you a comparison, when I started drag racing my 1967 I wanted to establish a baseline before my upgrades. It was just a basic performance 350 build. Cast bottom end, RV type cam 220/.450" range, 041 heads (a fuelie type head), Z28 type intake, 650 double pumper and headers. Don't know the rear end ratio. It was the stock open, maybe 2.73's or 3.08's. 1st night out with it best run out of all was a 13.99. First upgrade was to a 8.5" 10 bolt posi with 3.73 gears. Netted a tad over .2 tenths with that change only, down to 13.75.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I get the rear gear is killing me but it's what I have right now til i put the 9 inch I have together, and you guys agree that cam is too big for it? So I'm gonna go to a 700r4 in a couple months and then get headers for it. The car is a driver car that we take out every once in a while, I was thinking it could be the cam just cause it was a different cam then we normally use, I'm not sure what the casting is but there camel hump heads that were built some years ago. If I change the cam out when I do the transmission you think I'd see a pretty big difference though?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the cam part number is 12 268 4 I missed that too, the other cam is for another engine we are building, that one is a 268/280 duration and 479/480 lift

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not sure what your motor set up is now but the correct cam should make a decent difference. Like said I touched the 13's with probably the same gear ratio you have. Cam change will probably help the most. What the other guys recommend is a good start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thank you, and I guess the problem I have to is that my dad has a 72 nova with l98 heads, the same 268 cam. 700r4 with a 1000 over converter, 373 posi with a single plan weiand intake and 600 edelbrock and he runs 14.60's at best, msd, so i dont know, we were thinking headers is what is killing him, cause he has manifolds still

·
Registered
188 Posts
The 268H is a good cam. Still has to match your set-up. You said ported with 2.02 valves. Who ported them and as xMLMx asked what are the casting numbers. Compression ratio? Any specifics will help guys give better recommendations. Headers would help with the 72 car. Don't expect big changes at once unless you swap engine, trans, converter and rear end all together. My biggest single upgrade ET/MPH improvement wise was aftermarket heads and had to change to a Vortec style intake also. RPM Air Gap. I think that netted a little over half a sec better ET. I wasn't looking for a balls out 9 sec car just having fun doing little upgrades and then making a pass to see what worked better or ran quicker. Took 3 summers to go from 13.99 to high 11's. One change only at a time worked for me. If you do 2 at once you never know, one might help and the other might hurt cancelling each other out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Okay thank you, and I guess the problem I have to is that my dad has a 72 nova with l98 heads, the same 268 cam. 700r4 with a 1000 over converter, 373 posi with a single plan weiand intake and 600 edelbrock and he runs 14.60's at best, msd, so i dont know, we were thinking headers is what is killing him, cause he has manifolds still
Headers and dump the single plane. My favorite all around intake is a Parformer RPM air gap. I'm not sure about the carb cause I'm a Holley guy and never ran a edelbrock

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of my grandpas best friends is engine builder Bob santalini, I dont know if you know that name, but he was one of the best builders in the sac area, and he did the work on the heads, their 462's, and it's about 9to1 or 9 and a half to 1 compression, and it's a 71 chevy truck block, 4 bolt main stock bottom end,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Haven't heard of him but lots of good head guys. As long as it wasn't "Joe" off Craigslist hogging the ports out a big as possible with his die grinder they probably will be good for 12's if that's what you want. I went 12's with my stock 041's with 1.94 intakes. As mentioned a good dual plane intake. RPM Air Gap my choice also for your combo. Headers and rear end with some decent gears. I'm a Holley guy too on the carb. Once you get that stuff set up you want to make sure you curve your distributor correctly. A correctly curved distributor will make a big difference also. Keep an eye on your 60' and MPH will tell you if you're making more power.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's all about the over all combination. I've said it here before but building a performance car is just like putting a jig saw puzzle together. All the pieces have to fit in all the right places. Get a few pieces wrong and it messes the whole thing up. A small cubic inch small block chevy makes it's power with the head/camshaft combination. Other than that the gear/converter combination is also very important. Yes, there are a lot of other factors but if you will make these four work together you will be ahead of the curve. In a true street car that is driven mostly on the street you need to concentrate on building low and mid range power. With a flat top 350 engine with a decent GM steel head with the right camshaft/converter/gear a twelve second time slip should be fairly simple to do if traction isn't a major problem.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Needs gears and converter and let it rpm. Ram horns aren't helping either, but you should be in the 6-6500 rpm range.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It's all about the over all combination. I've said it here before but building a performance car is just like putting a jig saw puzzle together. All the pieces have to fit in all the right places. Get a few pieces wrong and it messes the whole thing up. A small cubic inch small block chevy makes it's power with the head/camshaft combination. Other than that the gear/converter combination is also very important. Yes, there are a lot of other factors but if you will make these four work together you will be ahead of the curve. In a true street car that is driven mostly on the street you need to concentrate on building low and mid range power. With a flat top 350 engine with a decent GM steel head with the right camshaft/converter/gear a twelve second time slip should be fairly simple to do if traction isn't a major problem.
Couldn't agree more with this post. To it I would add:
Headers are helpful but are a small piece of the puzzle.
Single plane manifolds for the street are a mistake (you do most of your driving below 3000 RPM).
The only substitute for compression is cubic inches. With a small SBC you are going to need descent compression. 10.5:1 will still run on pump gas and will have a huge influence on the effectiveness of your cam and top end.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
One of my grandpas best friends is engine builder Bob santalini, I dont know if you know that name, but he was one of the best builders in the sac area, and he did the work on the heads, their 462's, and it's about 9to1 or 9 and a half to 1 compression, and it's a 71 chevy truck block, 4 bolt main stock bottom end,
Haven't heard of him
I have and I live in Canada.
My combo in my last X body-see my Garage for pics.350+.030 dished piston,487X heads w/2.02-1.60. SINGLE Plane Torker intake,1" spacer ,Quadrajet carb,Comp Cams 280 H cam,350 turbo,3000 stall,3.73 gears went
13.446 @99.3mph,10 degrees timing,reg. fuel. The short block had over 200,000 km on it or 120,000 miles.
Gears+headers+converter =:)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Get some decent gears and a converter in it and you will be surprised. Uncle had a 355 with 2.02 double humps, 280 comp cam, rpm intake and a 750 Holley. 3.55 gears and a 2500 converter. Car would do 12.90. This was in a 67.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same basic combination, same cam, but the heads I had were stock smog. Had headers and a Torker 2 intake, TH400 with basically stock converter and 3.08's.
One thing you don't need to do with those gears, in case you are, is use 3rd gear. Once I stopped using 3rd the ET picked up. Shift it at 6 grand and just run to the stripe in 2nd. The car ran low 14's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts