Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 S-10 which has a OBD 2 style connector under the dash but if you read the label on the fan shroud under the hood it says "Certified OBD 1" , what gives? is it OBD 1 or 2? how can i check to see if theres any codes? i have a GM key for my 90 cavalier but i can't use on the 95 S10 because of trapoziod OBD 2 style connector under the dash. i tuned up the truck with new spark plugs,wires,cap & rotor, ignition coil, PCV, fuel filter, and air cleaner but it still runs rough between 1,000 RPM and like 1,500 RPM when im driving slow. it like misses or something. so when your going like 10-15 MPH you feel the truck rock a little because its rough at that rpm. but the engine light is not on. has anyone had this problem before? id apprecaite any help
thanks very much

·
Registered
996 Posts
strange... what is the build date on the s10? should say on the sticker in the door jamb.
should be obd1 since it's a 95, but if it's got a obd2 diagnostic port i don't know :confused:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
strange... what is the build date on the s10? should say on the sticker in the door jamb.
should be obd1 since it's a 95, but if it's got a obd2 diagnostic port i don't know :confused:
its an early 95 late 94 build. i just found out it has OBD 1 comupter but with an OBD 2 plug under the dash. talk about mix matching parts, lol. well thats GM for you... now i have to found out a way to read the computer...

·
Registered
996 Posts
not 100% sure, but on hondas when you want to read an obd1 ecu code you find the service plug and jump it.

on hondas it's a blue plug with 2 wires that isn't plugged into anything.
it's on the passenger side under the dash near the kick panel.
when you jump the wires together the check engine light flashes. you count the flashes and that tells you the code.

i'll do a little searching to see how you do it on the s10

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was gonna say, '95 was the cutover year for S10's from OBD I to OBD II. About half of them have OBD I computers and the later half have OBD II computers, if I remember correctly. If you've got a '94 built '95 dime, it's a good chance it's OBD I, even if it's got the OBD II plug. That was a goofy year :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts