Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my steering column for my 69 non-tilt column. From taking it all apart, I see that some of the little parts could use some replacing. This weekend, the local Pick-a-part is having a 50% off sale, and I'm wondering what columns would have the same parts. I heard that most GM columns from the 60's to the early 90's have the same inner workings. Any truth to that?

Or I could just grab one that matches (kinda) and take it for parts. The specific parts that could use replacement include:

• Steering Shaft stud that holds the wheel on (stripped)
  • horn connection
  • Lock Plate Retaining Ring
There were also a couple of flat copper pieces (about an 1/8" wide by 2" long), that I have no idea what they were for.

Anyone have experience in rebuilding columns and the little pieces involved?

·
Registered
3 Posts
help please

IMAG0552.jpg

IMAG0553.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg Can someone please help me with my steering column. My uncle took my top of my column a part and i don't know how to put it back together can some one help and tell me how to put it back. Pics and step by step how too will be best thanks this how it looks.I have all the parts to the column but don't know how to put it back together. i just need to know how. If u can let me know my email is [email protected] I can send more pic of my column and how it is i can only post 3 pics i have more

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
View attachment 111882

View attachment 111890

View attachment 111898 Can someone please help me with my steering column. My uncle took my top of my column a part and i don't know how to put it back together can some one help and tell me how to put it back. Pics and step by step how too will be best thanks this how it looks.I have all the parts to the column but don't know how to put it back together. i just need to know how. If u can let me know my email is [email protected] I can send more pic of my column and how it is i can only post 3 pics i have more
Banksx501, there are many little bitty parts in there that all have go in right and in the proper sequence. I have worked on many of them but I always took them apart myself. If it was in front of me I could get it back together but a step by step explanation would be difficult for you to understand because it has been so long for me I would have t work through the sequence myself. I searched youtube briefly and there are a lot of videos out there on the process. If you could print out the exploded view above it will help a lot and then watch the videos.

Steve

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
View attachment 111882

View attachment 111890

View attachment 111898 Can someone please help me with my steering column. My uncle took my top of my column a part and i don't know how to put it back together can some one help and tell me how to put it back. Pics and step by step how too will be best thanks this how it looks.I have all the parts to the column but don't know how to put it back together. i just need to know how. If u can let me know my email is [email protected] I can send more pic of my column and how it is i can only post 3 pics i have more
I would take all the peace's to local junk yard. Right next to them are little shops that could rebuilt it for you and cut you a couple of keys too :yes: I ended up trading mine for one all done with new keys :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts