Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so since ive had the car the temps have stayed at 180 yesterday i added more coolant/water since the small tank was empty but the radiator was full

now today i was driving and all of a sudden sitting at lights the temp gauge was maxing out and i pulled over at an auto zone and got my temp gun and it was over 250 the thing only goes to 250 it=thermostat housing the block didnt go above 210 i think

so i changed the tstat and the gasket cuz it was gone the tstat was stuck open and didnt close even when cool we dropped it and it still didnt close

now the car started sucking coolant outa the rez when we started it up and then a few mins later got hot as **** again

the one main hose was very clear you think its a bad water pump or a clog?

and are the factory water pump ok to use from autozone they are like 40 bucks for the high flow

this is a 2b carb 350 i think stock its not very powerful cant burn out or anything and i will be replacing the engine i just wanna be able to drive it for now and is not my daily driver but id like to drive it alot this summer

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yah sounds like your pump is out. The easiest way to check is to pull the cap off as soon as the tstat opens and you should be able to see the water running through the radiator. If its sitting still it aint pumping. Or you can remove the tstat and just keep the cap off and check it that way. Either way you should see some sort of flow through it. It could also be the radiator,if its plugged it will restrict the water and will not move it fast enough . Hope this helps

so since ive had the car the temps have stayed at 180 yesterday i added more coolant/water since the small tank was empty but the radiator was full

now today i was driving and all of a sudden sitting at lights the temp gauge was maxing out and i pulled over at an auto zone and got my temp gun and it was over 250 the thing only goes to 250 it=thermostat housing the block didnt go above 210 i think

so i changed the tstat and the gasket cuz it was gone the tstat was stuck open and didnt close even when cool we dropped it and it still didnt close

now the car started sucking coolant outa the rez when we started it up and then a few mins later got hot as **** again

the one main hose was very clear you think its a bad water pump or a clog?

And are the factory water pump ok to use from autozone they are like 40 bucks for the high flow

this is a 2b carb 350 i think stock its not very powerful cant burn out or anything and i will be replacing the engine i just wanna be able to drive it for now and is not my daily driver but id like to drive it alot this summer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

is the autozone high flow pump good enough for a non performance engine?

and your talking the cap to the radiator right? wont that make it over flow?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was told by a mechanic to go to napa its still the same price about

this is a very stock 350 were talking about

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
i was told by a mechanic to go to napa its still the same price about

this is a very stock 350 were talking about
yeah well knowing the people at semi-auto zone...:rolleyes: NAPA may be a better place. My favorite saying about autozone is, "If you know how to put gas in your own car you are over-qualified to work there!":devil::D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
so i ran the engine with the cap off i didnt even see any coolant in the radiator i put more in the tank and it barely sucked any in

is it a clog or the water pump?

also on the rez for the radiator there is an extra tube going nowhere i figure thats just for overflow?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
so i ran the engine with the cap off i didnt even see any coolant in the radiator i put more in the tank and it barely sucked any in

is it a clog or the water pump?

also on the rez for the radiator there is an extra tube going nowhere i figure thats just for overflow?
Fill your radiator and try again.

·
Registered
508 Posts
did you have the tstat out? and yes fill it up to about 2 rows before the top. that way you can see if it is circulating. with the tstat out you can see the water flow through the tubes inside the rad.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I wouldn't count on the overflow tank to fill the radiator for you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i wouldn't count on the overflow tank to fill the radiator for you.
x2....you dont ever want to fill the rad. From the over flow. Its called an overflow for a reason. Fill the radiator through the cap that way you know you have water in there. If the system pulls from the over flow it dosnt pull very much or very fast. Nor dose it circulate through the overflow like you think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
x2....you dont ever want to fill the rad. From the over flow. Its called an overflow for a reason. Fill the radiator through the cap that way you know you have water in there. If the system pulls from the over flow it dosnt pull very much or very fast. Nor dose it circulate through the overflow like you think.
Ahh i see im going to fill it with water to see if its flowing the pump will be in tomorow morning gunna install that and do a radiator flush ill check alll the hoses too

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Up date the pump works now that i filled it with water im going to flush it tomorow and replace coolant the car is sitting at a nice180deg now just to find out why there wasnt any coolanr hopefully theres no leak

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im not going to take apart the whole engine i just looked it up and you pretty much need the motor out how would you check the plugs other wise?

are you sure that its something that time consuming and hard? or could it just be a leaky water pump

i hope its that the guy b4 forgot to fill it or somthing im putting some cardboard under the car tonight to see if it leaks anything other than alittle brake fluid (power steering pump is leaking)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Had my impeller spin off one time on a cheap pump and temps shot up, got a bosch at pepboys and added a disc, all good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In most cases cooling issues are not the water pump, typiclly a clog in the system elsewhere. if the pump is leaking it will come out of the weep hole unless its clogged, try flushing out the system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts