Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building a 62 drop top and I'm trying to make up my mind as to what suspension to go with. I was planing on sticking with the original clip which I had powder coated and rebuilt but after going to the Good Guys Show this weekend I looked into the Classic Works front clip. I figure by the time I'm done I'll have about $4,000 invested.

I would like to get a some honest unbiased opinions as to the overall improvement I could expect from ride, steering, braking, etc... and if you think its worth the 4Gs. The car is going to be a cruiser and not raced. I am thinking about droping a 350 Ram Jet in it but that may be out of the question due to budget restraints.

I'm going for performance but at the same time I want comfort. Should I stick with the stock suspension & disc brakes and use that money towards something else or are these new conversions really as good as the dealers want you to believe?

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SuperSport said:
Just my opinion. When you total up all the costs for a rebuilt suspension , disc brakes, and V8 conversion kit. You will be spending just about the same amount of $$ than if you buy one of these clips. I really do not believe a stock set up can out handle a aftermarket clip. You can get a Heidt's or TCI clip for about $2700 or so with allot of goodies.
Thanks for your quick reply. After reading my original post I realized I screwed up. It Chassisworks not Classic Works but I guess you figured that.

The suspension and disc brakes was taken care of when we powder coated the stock clip and fender wells so that money is already under the bridge. What I want to know is what kind of performance can I truely expect if I go with one of these after market clips.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a chassisworks kit and the difference from stock is night and day in my opinion, granted my stock frontend was in horrible shape. With the chassisworks kit stearing is tight and responsive, rides smooth and strait, and headers are a breeze. The front tires are centered in the wheel openings. the engine compartment is easier to work in, I didn't get innerfenders, so it's open spaces.

The chassisworks kit is expensive but I think it's worth every penny. I bought mine when chassisworks were the only people offering a bolt on kit. Today you have alot more options with more people manufacturing frontend kits, but if I had it to do over again I would still go with chassisworks------they get the thumbs up from me

Bret

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Ditto here on the CW clip. There are others that are less expensive and work fine but if you want a system that's been re-engineered to correct the usual Nova issues, highest quality parts that fit perfectly, and assured all the parts come in the kit, and choices of polished stainless & billet components etc. it's the way to go. They supply button head stainless screws etc. It's a totally bolt in kit with a very detailed instruction manual.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the input. I just got off the phone with CW and got a qoute for $3,900 complete. Expensive but most likely I'll be going that direction but I'm still looking for a deal. Anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
144 Posts
fuzzy5385 said:
I have a chassisworks kit and the difference from stock is night and day in my opinion, granted my stock frontend was in horrible shape. With the chassisworks kit stearing is tight and responsive, rides smooth and strait, and headers are a breeze. The front tires are centered in the wheel openings. the engine compartment is easier to work in, I didn't get innerfenders, so it's open spaces.

The chassisworks kit is expensive but I think it's worth every penny. I bought mine when chassisworks were the only people offering a bolt on kit. Today you have alot more options with more people manufacturing frontend kits, but if I had it to do over again I would still go with chassisworks------they get the thumbs up from me

Bret
Fir Na Tine may be owner and project coridinator on this but I'm the one building the car. One thing that concerns me is after doing this major change to the front suspension is did you or anyone else who has installed this kit have to make any changes to the rear suspension like shocks, springs or sway bar to keep a good balance between front and rear suspension? We currently have a set of multileaf springs in the rear and welded in a set of frame links.

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'll go with the stock clip if its rebuilt and the disc brakes are on it. If money is tight on getting your motor done and the car rolling. I would run the stock clip and have some fun with the car. You can always go with a CW clip down the road.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
if ya want cheap go with the checkered racing clip - again you get what you pay for - not as nice as the chassisworks deal but a good deal nonetheless - you will need welding fab skills to install this. Dont forget the unseen stuff you will need as well like headers (a big deal with aftermarket clips) i have the checkered deal with chris alston headers (nice nice stuff) and fits like a glove.

·
Registered
450 Posts
front clip

Are the CW front clips noisey, banging, harsh front ends and does anybody have them on their daily drivers. Do they last.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about the Wayne Due, Scotts, Martz, or TCI clips?
Pros, cons?
You guys are saying $4k is expensive? I wasn't expecting much less than that... With a "$4k ceiling," what would you suggest?

P.S. I was leaning toward the Alston, but I've heard good things about Wayne Due and the TCI...

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have the cw clip but if i were to do it again i would probably go with the waynedue clip because of the c-5 vette suspension goodies and the ease of 15" rotors and 6 piston caliapers check out a friends front clip on his camaro and he can squeeze 315's on the front, here is a link http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=3771

intruder said:
What about the Wayne Due, Scotts, Martz, or TCI clips?
Pros, cons?
You guys are saying $4k is expensive? I wasn't expecting much less than that... With a "$4k ceiling," what would you suggest?

P.S. I was leaning toward the Alston, but I've heard good things about Wayne Due and the TCI...

·
Registered
144 Posts
C5 front end is probably more than we want. We aren't looking to build a G Machine, we just want a good handling car for cruisen around town and the highway. While I would love to build a G machine its just not in the cards for this project.

I would still like to hear from those of you that have installed the CW clip on what type of mods if any you might have done to the rear suspension?

Frank

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I've installed the Alston, TCI & Heidt's. For all around quality, fit, options, availability of replacement parts I'd recommend the Heidt's clip. The people were great to deal with as well.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The stock front clips really dont handle all that bad. It's the steering ratio that is the sheits! I still have the stock front clip on my 67 but i installed a 605 power steering box. had to do some cutting and stuff to make it fit but it was worth it!!:D

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Ya know, I always thought it was huge bucks to go to an aftermarket clip, and I have a small enough budget as it is, so I ended up rebuilding the original stuff. Having said that...there is another solution that has me seriously interested. Not an entire clip, but it does replace the lower control arms...looks very solid:

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36016

...and the pricetag is much easier to take, too!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts