Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I’m about to have .025” removed from the block deck to obtain the correct squish or piston to deck height. By machining the block, the engine number will disappear as you will all know.

To get to the essence of it all, in Western Australia, transplanting a motor from another engine family type requires the vehicle to be reinspected for road worthiness. Yes, swapping out a General Motors Holden 308 to General Motors Chevrolet 307 is considered a change of engine family. I know, I know, but it’s pointless presenting the fact they are sibling companies to our Transport authority. I will need to forward the numbers before the machining

12W182212 V1026CTK

So what I have been able to determine from the engine numbers are;
It was a 130HP 307 cu in. coupled with a TH350 that was destined to go into Chevelle, Camaro or Nova. It was made at the Flint facility on the 26th October 1972.
The vehicle it was go into was manufactured at Willow Run.

Please correct me if my research is off key as I’m sure there will be some number boffins that will quickly align me.

Can the actual vehicle type or V.I.N. be extracted from these? It’s certainly not a requirement our Transport department know of this but it’s definitely one for my own personal curiosity.
I have an inkling the vehicle was a Nova as I believe Willow Run certainly put out a substantial volume around 1972.

I should have mentioned it earlier, the motor is not going into a Nova. It is going into a Holden HQ. In fact, I have never seen a Nova in Western Australia.

Please let me know if anyone has an answer

Thanks and regards

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
CTK 1978 305 145 2 LG3
CTK 1972 307 130 2 tur hydramatic
CTK 1974 400 4 t/h, pol/taxi, Calif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yep, has a TH350 behind it and did in fact have a 2 bbl Rochester when I first brought it home. Some 23 years ago.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't know if there is enough info in the partial Vin to verrify the actual vehicle but there is some validity to what is there.

1 = Chevrolet
2 = 1972
W= Willow Run
182212= Refer to the last 6 numbers for the production sequence of the vehicle it was originally in when it left the factory. If it is possible to determine by process of elimination that this number is unique to a Nova or something else is really the question here. Nail down what Willow Run was building in 1972 around November or so and that's about as close as I figure you can get.

I don't know if there's a production sequence data base available for this type of information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I was not aware that Camaros were not produced at Willow Run. I suppose if I could extract the information from a source, the six digit serial number would reveal the final details.

Regardless, I am a very content owner of a small block Chevrolet and TH350. Yes, it is a meager 307, but please remember the vehicle wrecking yards where I live are not liberally flowing with 350 engine blocks.

Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I’m the little Chev is from a Nova. I consulted the internet by typing the partial VIN and then the related V1026CTK.

One display of a Nova from a fellow selling or now sold vehicle with same engine number stamping.

Confirmed, mind cleared, riddle solved... now to get back to rebuilding the car...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts