Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a header gasket leak on the passenger bank somewhere so it looks like I am off to autozone tomorrow. Are those layered aluminum gaskets worth anything or should I go with copper/other?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have had good luck with the multi layer header gaskets from the ZONE haha
BUt seriously they work pretty well on my nova
you can even shave the ports pretty easy if they dont match up well enough
josh

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Fel Pro HP gaskets

# 1444
Steel Core Laminate

I have a set thats over 3 years old, I have reused them several times.

Al

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have always had good luck using just the individual exhaust manifold gaskets on headers.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fel Pro HP gaskets

# 1444
Steel Core Laminate

I have a set thats over 3 years old, I have reused them several times.

Al
I have always had good luck using just the individual exhaust manifold gaskets on headers.
Looks like what Al is talking about is header gaskets made the same way as manifold gaskets. Looks like the ones I will buy!:yes: This engine bay is getting mighty hot already!:eek:

Are the steel core/silicone lined valve cover gaskets good too?:D Mine tend to leak just enough to get the motor dirty.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i run the steel lined VC gasket and dont leak one drop. i love them. and the gasket bid AL said is a great gasket. i use the same one but in a hooker/stahl flange style. two years on mine and still going.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I had a terrible time with mine until I bought a set of the copper ones from Summit.I put them on then after about 100 miles I tightened them once more ,no leaks and that was four years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I have had luck with most types of laminated gaskets, even OEM manifold gaskets hold up rather well.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
i run the steel lined VC gasket and dont leak one drop. i love them. and the gasket bid AL said is a great gasket. i use the same one but in a hooker/stahl flange style. two years on mine and still going.
I like them too.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have had good luck with both the copper, and the aluminum gaskets. And yes, I have sucessfully re-used them.

What I like best, is that should you develop a leak, they don't blow out like the paper gaskets.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My Sanderson headers have machined flanges and all they recommended was the hightemp Permagasket or similar type sealant - no gaskets. No leaks/ no issues here without gaskets.

Suprised the crap out of me the high temp stuff holds under the heat but it does.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
#8 and #7 header bolts were way less than finger tight. Might explain some of it!:eek::D Same thing with my #1 intake port-thingy leaking oil.:bored:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
a good idea is to retighten the header bolts AFTER you install the headers and gaskets and run them thru a heat cycle. Often times people will go tighten them when they're hot and when everything cools the bolts are loose.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been using the Percy's aluminum gaskets, and no leaks for the past 8 years, I bought them from Summit. I just make sure the header bolts are retightened ( if needed), after about every 20 or so heating/cooling cycles.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
A lot of the reason header gaskets blow,

is the bolts get loose, and the hot gasses eat the gasket, I have a set of locks on my header bolts, they are simple pieces of aluminum, with the 7/16th hex cut out, all except one side, get it hot, let it cool, retorque, then you slide the collar over the bolt, and put a snap ring on the end of the bolt ( they are machined for the snap ring ) and even if they TRY to back off, the aluminum collar wont LET them loosen, never had a leak since.

·
Registered
566 Posts
a good idea is to retighten the header bolts AFTER you install the headers and gaskets and run them thru a heat cycle. Often times people will go tighten them when they're hot and when everything cools the bolts are loose.

For headers, I usually go back and tighten them up after the first three drives at least.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
FelPro only.... Period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts