Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
if you like the way wrap looks, and dont care if it shortens the life of your headers or ruins the coating after a while.. then wrap them.. its your car, and if thats what you like, then do it.. but if you want your pipes to last. and not have any hazards under the hood, then follow the advice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heat wraps

What do you think of putting heatwraps around header pipes?

I know it makes the nice, shiny, chromed headers look ugly (which will probably be the reason I won't use wraps), but what's the benefits?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Lets see....
They're ugly.
They'll trap moisture and cause you headers to prematurely rust.
They're a FIRE HAZARD.

Benefits? Keep some heat out of the engine compartment. How much?
Not enough to make a significant difference.....

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I know that Wraps nullify Hedman header warranty. No advantage to over cooking your pipes. Sometimes it's helpful to get exhaust pressure up if you have a turbo, but skip the wraps on a non turbo boosted engine.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
what about that heat wrap.. thats not the standard style header wrap.. like that thick insulation stuff with the foil backing? i see it for turbos and such in jegs.. not the rolls of header wrap. would that stuff work.. or would it do the same thing?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
IMHO it's best suited for race only applications. It tends to collect moisture in a street driven car. Everytime you start the motor and shut it down some amount of moisture will be generated, there's no where for it to evaporate to quickly enough. Great though for reducing underhood temps but really bad for headers. I'd only use it on really cheap headers you don't care about since you'll be replacing them them sooner than without header wrap.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
I ran the wrap for 10 years on the same headers never took it off. But I cleaned them very well and painted them with several coats of high heat paint. It makes a big difference in underhood temps on a 1st or 2nd gen stock front clip and checking the plugs was not such a dangerous job at the drag strip.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Since this question has been asked no less than 6 times, this is now an FAQ heading to Best of Tech archive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
changing spark plugs w/ heater wraps.

How often do you change your sparks plugs at the drag strip, or when your engine is hot to need to have header wrap just for that, if it only cools it like 2-3 deg. and keeps in the hot in the engine, I won't get any. JUST WHAT i THINK , ART

OR IF YOU GO FOR COOLING YOUR INTAKE SHOOT FOR MORE LIKE 10-20 DEGS (SCOOP, BLOWER) NOW YOUR TALIKN.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts