Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive heard a bunch of negatives about header wrap, how it rusts out headers pretty quick.....

i like the look of it a lot better than the coated or uncoated look, and also its perfect for the used beat up swap meet headers i have......

Just wondering how bad of a problem is this?
How quick will it ruin a set of headers? (im in Ca so weather is pretty good most of the time)

getting ready to put headers on my six but dont want to run them w the wrap if its really as bad as i hear......im willing to loose some life off the headers, but dont want to put a new set on next year.....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i no, thats kinda what got me thinking, thought it was an old tread,

just wondering how quick does it rot out your headers?????

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
dude, your headers won't rust away hella fast. especially if you drive the car a lot. Sitting for long periods of time will make them rust because the header rap will hold moisture and cause rust but if you drive it a lot any moisture there is will burn off.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats pretty much what i was thinking, just have never heard anything good about wrap, only bad.....thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
should i wrap my headers?

is it a good thing to wrap headers to keep underhood temps down? What are good ones to buy? I seen them in summit and jegs, i don't have ceramic coated ones. I also heard it is a bad thing to keep them wrapped, what is the truth?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have been told that the wrap will cause them to rust out prematurely. I have seen notes in the boxes from several header manufacturers stating that all warrantees are void if header wrap is used. Of couse, Smokey Yunick said "The hotter you can keep the headers, the less back pressure you will have." (Better scavenging of the combustion chamber.)

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Hot air flows better threw hot pipes. the header wrap also lowers under hood temps. Im afaird of rust. Even in cars stored in garges condesation is a killer. I thig DEI sells a silicone spray to treat the wrap to lower chances of rusting out.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Everything I've heard and read says stay away from wrapping headers. Why is it you want to do this?...performance or ??? Unless this is an all out race car I don't think you are going to see any difference. If it really works, why don't you see the guys in professional racing series using it? If it's heat issues, coated headers (inside and out) make a fairly significant difference in reducing underhood temps and faster cooling when the engine stops.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Everything I've heard and read says stay away from wrapping headers. Why is it you want to do this?...performance or ??? Unless this is an all out race car I don't think you are going to see any difference. If it really works, why don't you see the guys in professional racing series using it? If it's heat issues, coated headers (inside and out) make a fairly significant difference in reducing underhood temps and faster cooling when the engine stops.
not really a case of wanting or not wanting, i just wanted to know if it was preferred, now that i see it really isnt, thats the last you will here about it from me. Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Header wraps suck! The 1st time you slice your fender on a hardened wrap shard, you'll wish you never did it. Not to mention the rust issues. Oh yeah, don't forget that they are a leading cause of header fires: oil gets soaked in the wrap, and next thing you know, presto, charred engine compartment...

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my case the wrap works fine. The car isn't a daily driver, it's stored indoors and it was alot cheaper than getting them coated. It's been 5 years and it still looks new. Would I wrap headers on a daily driver: NO. The wrap will hold in moisture and turn into a soggy mess after awhile. If you have the money, get them coated.
Mike

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
under hood temp - coolcan/headerwrap

Anyone use header wrap that lasts? doesn't start to look like sh*t after 10 hours?

Also anyone here run a coolcan(for the fuel) that they have made or bought for cheap? seems like a really good idea to me. Colder fuel and colder air more horsepower.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wrapping coated headers

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. I've heard all the reasons not
to wrap headers, but what about wrapping coated ones? I have a set of Hooker Super Comp fenderwell headers (for a BBC in a 67) that are coated black. They were used and the guy before me modified them w/ a hammer in spots for clearance. They look a little "eehhh" in spots, but they were in my price range. I would like to wrap them (black) to cover up some of the crappy parts. Not a daily driver. If they're coated, and if the wrap does hold moisture, it shouldn't hurt the pipes. And the coating should keep the temp some-what down and not make the wrap brittle like on an uncoated header, right? What do you guys think? Like I said, not for a daily driver and more for looks than performance.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Me either.
The look does absolutely nothing for me, and it's just trap for water and oil/grease (fire hazard).

JMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Wrapping coated headers will ruin the coating.
I just went through a warranty problem with my Hedmans and the flaking was so bad they initially accused me of wrapping my headers.

If you are just doing it for appearance, IMO wrapping will look as bad if not worse.

The only good solution is a new set.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts