Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the cowl hoods from AMD any good? Do they fit OK and look OK? I'm planning to buy one for my 62. My paint and body work isn't finished yet so if it needs a little work Ill be OK with it. I'm also using Goodmark front fenders and doors and 1/4 panels and wheelhouses etc.....
I appreciated any comments.

·
Vendor
1,721 Posts
We use and sell the OER ones which Classic gets directly from Golden Eagle or whatever the manufacturer is called. They are not perfect, none of them are, but we have never had major issues. They normally require some body work, but that is to be expected. The underside spot welds can be sloppy. These are the ones some of the massive online retailers are selling.

There can be issues with other brands having a "bow" in the center which causes the hood to sit higher than the fenders in the middle. I do not know how prevalent that issue is, but it happens. Here are pics of an OER hood on a 2nd gen. You can see it has good lines and sits generally flat in the center. This is a recent install, customer was happy.

hood_3.JPG hood_2.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Are the cowl hoods from AMD any good? Do they fit OK and look OK? I'm planning to buy one for my 62. My paint and body work isn't finished yet so if it needs a little work Ill be OK with it. I'm also using Goodmark front fenders and doors and 1/4 panels and wheelhouses etc.....
I appreciated any comments.
Isn't everyone using them ???

·
Vendor
1,721 Posts
Both Dynacorn and AMD make the steel 1st gen cowl hood. Then you have the OER branded one, which at least for the last couple years are coming from the actual manufacturer Golden Eagle or whatever it is called. There could also be some smaller run brands out there that I am unaware of (but would love to know about).

Next thing is repop parts are normally made in batches. One batch could be great, next batch crappy. They could be separated by a decade. So brand X hood made in 2000 may be stellar, the 2018 run could have substantial issues. Just ran into this with early door hinges - new batch is unacceptable, old batch was great.

To muck this up further, the online mega auto marts frequently mislabel the actual manufacturer of the part. This is rampant on eBay. Distributors are often listed as manufacturers. Some instances the manufacturer listed does not even make the part! So the Nova owner could think they have cowl hood brand X, when they really have brand Y.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have one on my 65 & it fit great. There was a bow in the center compared to the original; so I had to shim the fenders up in the center to match the rise. Other than that straight & fits well. Even got the 65 diecast installed & made a polished hood spear for it..
That's the first time I've ever seen the chrome spear installed on it, bold move! It looks great!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have an NOS GoodMark 2" cowl hood still in the box that was purchased at least 10 years ago by the PO of my 62 sedan project. I'm gonna try to test fit it to my 62 vert soon. My car has aftermarket front fenders with a oem hood currently and the hood to fender fit is pretty good. We'll see what happens when I put the GoodMark hood on. I will report back.

·
Vendor
1,721 Posts
Totally forgot about Goodmark :unsure: the OG repop replacement sheet metal. Do let us know how that goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts