Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 4 awg too small for a postive battery to starter cable?Trunk to engine say 12 ft?I need to run it under my sill plates and I dont have alot of room.....thanks bm

·
6,598 Posts
It "might" work but it could depend on the starter, cranking compression amount, ignition timing, and/or how the ground is set up.

If you had a high torque starter on a low cranking compression motor, then it might just work but if you had a stock starter trying to crank over a high cranking compression motor then it wouldn't work.

Options I've done in cars is sometimes run the power/ground cables down the passenger side of the tranny tunnel next to the floor. When the carpet goes to be installed a lot of times it covers it up nicely.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Bruce, it depends on what the amp draw is going to be. A #4 cable is good for about 90 amps (depending on the type of cable) then consider voltage drop for the length of the run. Your biggest draw will be during starting so you can use this formula to decide your cable size. 2 X Length X resistance X amps divided by 1000. 2 is the path and return, length is the length of the wire, resistance is the resistance of the wire per 1000' (which you should be able to find out from internet charts) Stock starters that I've tested draw about 80 amps while cranking. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I would strongly recomend useing #2

·
Registered
670 Posts
4 is a bit scary even more that its inside the car. Im running 1/0 inside to the truck for the stereo. Maybe for my battery in the future.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The other things to take into consideration is actual O/D size,type of strandings,type of jackets ect
not all wires with the same gauge size have the same outside diameter, and flexbility.
If you have a 'fit into certain area issue' you may want to check several manufacturers O/D sizes

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
bigger / better

:yes: Like they say bigger is better = less resistance esp.if in trunk.:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
The only benefits with going with 4 gauge is cost and size. For such a critical part of the car, I would consider going with the larger cable. Personally, I don't want to have a handful of things (issues) in the back of my mind that constantly worry me about my car when I am out on the open road.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only benefits with going with 4 gauge is cost and size. For such a critical part of the car, I would consider going with the larger cable. Personally, I don't want to have a handful of things (issues) in the back of my mind that constantly worry me about my car when I am out on the open road.
cost has nothing to do with it....my problem is size......im gonna run it under the car now anyways

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Is 4 awg too small for a postive battery to starter cable?Trunk to engine say 12 ft?I need to run it under my sill plates and I dont have alot of room.....thanks bm
To answer your question directly.....yes, it's too small for your LS3...

....my problem is size......

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .......... sorry, had to do it.. :D

T,

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To answer your question directly.....yes, it's too small for your LS3...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .......... sorry, had to do it.. :D

T,
I knew that was coming:eek::D:D:D:Dsometimes you just gotta say it:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
I ran "00" "2 ought" welding cable. It cost about $3.50 a foot. Ya its big, but my car cranks over and starts like a champ. I mean it starts like RIGHT NOW! No voltage drop to the ignition, means a nice hot spark while cranking.
This is what I'm running also.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
2 guage welding cable fit perfectly in the channel under my passenger side sill plate. Just a thought :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
2 guage welding cable fit perfectly in the channel under my passenger side sill plate. Just a thought :)
My opinion is to go with 2 ga. or larger. I was thinking the same...under the sill plate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts