Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My buddy and I are going to irwindale tonight to see what our cars can do with the new stuff since last time. I have a new cam in mine, and we put an all forged 7mGTE in his 88 supra running 10 psi boost. We shall see......:devil:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You know, If you spent your money on tires or a posi you would pick up more than any cam change. In the water box it spins the right tire, then it spins the left one when you launch the car. Drive around the water and it'll work a lot better.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, If you spent your money on tires or a posi you would pick up more than any cam change. In the water box it spins the right tire, then it spins the left one when you launch the car. Drive around the water and it'll work a lot better.
Ya I know what you mean...haha...I got the posi and gears sitting right here next to me....ANd I had to change the cam because my old one went flat on me. But tonight was a bad night for sure....2 of the runs it bogged on the bottom end and ran 9.0 than when I fixed that it ran an 11.6 spinning the whole 8th....Ill put the posi in and report back...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THe good news is though, that I beat my friends supra, which was also having some serious issues as well. He would wheel hop every gear....

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Supra probably has a BHG too!!!! It seems like my Supra and everyone I knew that had one was changing head gaskets every 10k miles. Especially on the GTE motors with 15+ psi.

You need tires, that'll do more than anything else you can do to your car now.

Kev

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Ya I know what you mean...haha...I got the posi and gears sitting right here next to me....ANd I had to change the cam because my old one went flat on me. But tonight was a bad night for sure....2 of the runs it bogged on the bottom end and ran 9.0 than when I fixed that it ran an 11.6 spinning the whole 8th....Ill put the posi in and report back...
What was your 60 ft and MPH? Did you pick up any MPH with the cam change? Let us know when you make it back to Irwindale. I try to get down there about once a month.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Supra probably has a BHG too!!!! It seems like my Supra and everyone I knew that had one was changing head gaskets every 10k miles. Especially on the GTE motors with 15+ psi.

You need tires, that'll do more than anything else you can do to your car now.

Kev
HAHA!! True that man....We have gone through like 6 HG on his c ar and finally he stepped up to arp studs and cometic MLS....

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was your 60 ft and MPH? Did you pick up any MPH with the cam change? Let us know when you make it back to Irwindale. I try to get down there about once a month.
My 60 was 2.173 with a 9.0 @ 79.97, but I had this bog because my float level was too high(wouldnt idle at all, had to keep popping it into neutral), and it bogged all the way to the 330 ft mark. So I could floor it the whole track. Than when I fixed it, I did a 2.8 60 with an 11.6 @ 65 and never went past half throttle but spun the whole 8th....lmao

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
My Ricermobile will 60 ft. a 2.0 flat with street tires and stick, side stepping the clutch at 3000 rpm and wheel hopping like crazy.

You need tires. And a posi. And gears. And a converter. And suspension, if you don't have it.

Kev

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got the converter....but I need to install my posi and gears...than all will be better..and if not than slicks here I come....and hopefully mid 12s....But I would like to just keep it at street tires...On the way home I raced an s55 amg on the freeway, beat him pretty good...looked out the window with his thumbs up....haha

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I bet you'll still destroy those tires. A healthy 383 has plenty of torque to kill a set of 255 or 275 street radials. It'll be inconsistent as well. The best money you can spend is on a set of 255/60 drag radials or slicks. Just stick em on some 15x7 black steel wheels and go racing.

Kev

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bet you'll still destroy those tires. A healthy 383 has plenty of torque to kill a set of 255 or 275 street radials. It'll be inconsistent as well. The best money you can spend is on a set of 255/60 drag radials or slicks. Just stick em on some 15x7 black steel wheels and go racing.

Kev
Sounds good to me, and I will do this oncve I get my posi in....gotta have posi first. BTW what fluid should I run with an eaton lsd?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts