Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody going? I plan to be there early, get a few runs in before the mob shows up.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
I should be there.

My dad talked about runnign the car, but not sure what he decided.

Either way, prob see you there.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I might come by- Ill see if I can drag my colleague from Canada with me eh.:yes:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
might take the car i dont know yet gotta ask the misses to see if we have the money other than that i might go to watch :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
might take the car i dont know yet gotta ask the misses to see if we have the money other than that i might go to watch :yes:
It's only another $10 to run your car after you pay admission. You'll spend more than that on gas to get there and back. :rolleyes: If you make it, come by and introduce yourself.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, my 60 fts were all over the place. Got a 1.75, did everything the same and then went 1.90. Just could not get it to hook, even tho I was leaving at 1000-1200 rpm each time. :confused::mad: My MPH was very consistent and shift points the same, so it looks like the difference was off the line. I need to put some more gap between the snubbers and spring eye and see if that helps. But I am wondering if my ET Streets are just toast? I have over 50 runs on them and probably 4000 miles. I was running 14 -15 psi, and they hooked good with that pressure a month ago, but spin every run now.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
It sounded about the same on every pass--it rotated the tire just a few revolutions and took off; it wasn't spinning after that. One pass your burnout was...not a burnout; the tires didn't turn at all, but it sounded like it left the same.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It's rough chasing down traction gremlins. That car is nice, and when it hooks up finally it will be a very quick car.

What's going on with his front end travel? Pinion angle? I bet that might help something. I just found out that Harbor Freight sells magnetic degree thingy for $10 to check pinion angle. It's in my toolbox now.

I bet there's a lot to be found in the front suspension...

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you think the tires are OK? I know when I got my best runs my 60 fts were right at 1.65 and ET low 7.8s, leaving about 1200 rpm. Any higher launch rpm would spin the tires and drop 60 ft and ET by 0.1 to 0.2. Now I can't even leave at 1000 rpm without spinning. I would just like to be able to launch it hard and consistently.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's rough chasing down traction gremlins. That car is nice, and when it hooks up finally it will be a very quick car.

What's going on with his front end travel? Pinion angle? I bet that might help something. I just found out that Harbor Freight sells magnetic degree thingy for $10 to check pinion angle. It's in my toolbox now.

I bet there's a lot to be found in the front suspension...

Aron, thanks. I have about 4 to 5 inches of travel in the front and videos show I am getting a fair amount of lift when it hooks. Pinion angle is 3 deg down. Obviously I have more tuning to do to make it consistent.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Aron, thanks. I have about 4 to 5 inches of travel in the front and videos show I am getting a fair amount of lift when it hooks. Pinion angle is 3 deg down. Obviously I have more tuning to do to make it consistent.
does the rear suspension unload after the launch? i've heard of cars launching good and hitting the rear tires so hard that they sort of 'bounce back' and the car rocks forward and makes it so the rear tires don't have all the weight on them. how quickly does the front end come up? can you fairly easily pull the front end up 2-3"? on my race car i'm able to pretty easily pick the front end up a few inches. my wagons have never been able to do that, but i'm also not racing those.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
does the rear suspension unload after the launch? i've heard of cars launching good and hitting the rear tires so hard that they sort of 'bounce back'
I don't think that is the problem. When I bury the throttle, the tires spin a few revolutions, the car sits there and then it hooks and goes. Sometimes it spins just a little, other times it seems like it sits there forever :rolleyes:. I have 2 maybe 3 runs where it hooked right away and that is when I got my best 60 fts (1.65) and best ET. When it spins it goes at least 0.1 seconds slower, sometimes 0.3 slower :eek:. Last night I think my 60 fts ranged from 1.75 to 2.00, leaving at the same rpm with same tire pressure every time.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I don't think that is the problem. When I bury the throttle, the tires spin a few revolutions, the car sits there and then it hooks and goes. Sometimes it spins just a little, other times it seems like it sits there forever :rolleyes:. I have 2 maybe 3 runs where it hooked right away and that is when I got my best 60 fts (1.65) and best ET. When it spins it goes at least 0.1 seconds slower, sometimes 0.3 slower :eek:. Last night I think my 60 fts ranged from 1.75 to 2.00, leaving at the same rpm with same tire pressure every time.
What front and rear shocks are you running?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Next time out, get some heat in the tries--do a burnout that makes at least a little smoke--try a different air pressure (up or down) Try a different launch rpm. Dale used to do a pretty good size burnout on the 235's, and it usually hooked pretty good. Do your burnout after the other car, and get staged as quickly as possible while you still have some heat in the tires.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd bet the tire temps varied a lot because your burnouts vary a lot.
I agree. I am trying to get more consistent but they still vary quite a bit. My first burnout last night was my best, but still didn't hook very well. The second was actually shorter but it was my best 60 ft and ET.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts