Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got back from irwindale the car was spinning the tires extremely hard. the best pass i did i drove it out instead of nailing it here are my times.

60' 1.887
330 5.413
1/8th 8.277
mph 85.88

·
Registered
556 Posts
60 ft times are off. If you get that thing to hook it should go 7.90's 8.0s easy!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I guess it all goes to show you it ain't just horspower that gets you there. Once you get your car set up you should be doing way better. Glad to see you got your rocker arm problem solved.
Mike is turning those times at 81mph so your times will get better for sure once it gets set up.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37133

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya with some slicks and intake manifold i should be doing good. i just have a regular performer intake on it that is not match ported. i was going to go with an air gap. what do you guys think? if i set this intake on the car with the correct gasket you can still see the intake runners on the heads. so i had to get a big gasket to cover that. so i no theres a lot more potential there.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
My car run's low 11's with a performer intake. ;)

You should be in the 7.9's with some tire. That would be my first to do with your car. I did see your car out there yesterday, but did'nt realize who you were until I saw this thread. Maybe I can catch up with you next time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what size slick and rim do you guys recommend to fit under a stock wheel well?

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
You might be able to go bigger with a 3rd gen, but I run a M/T 26"X8.5" on a 7" steel rally. I know they will fit.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
71nova said:
what size slick and rim do you guys recommend to fit under a stock wheel well?
I run 28x11.50 ET Streets on 15x7s with 4.5" backspacing. Mine clear the fenders and inner wheelhousings fine. I used a 5/16" spacer on the driver's side to move the tire away a tad more from the shock (I wanted to see a little more clearance at the lower shock mount).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I was on the starting line almost all night but I don't remember seeing the car! It's hell getting old!! What tires are you running? Let me know the next time you're coming out; I have drag radials that should fit, and Dale has his old slicks maybe we could borrow. What's your rear suspension set-up? We've probably been over this before but..........advanced case of CRS!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
lol i mite have to take you up on that offer. i think i saw you out there were you photographing? mine was the red 71 nova. probably looked like i didnt no what i was doing. anyways i have slapper bars and 90/10 shock in the front and air shocks at 20 psi in the back( i no that isnt the best). i have mickey thompsons sportsman I tires on it now. i think with some slicks i'd really be in good shape. im also intersted in buying any used slicks with rims by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Are those the Sportsman Pros? I had a set of those for my Camaro, I thought they grabbed really good. They do need a good burnout though.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You mean this car? I was looking for the primer/black car like your avatar.

You need to spend more time on your burnout; I don't recall more than a wisp of smoke from your tires. I think those will require a lot more heat to work.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup, thats the car. i dont have a line lock but everytime i went in the water pit i would floor it and burnout until i got to the lights. for some reason these tires never smoke. everytime i floored it off the line the tach would just shooot to 7k from it spinning so hard.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
That car is pretty heavy and for it to run as good as it did on street tires I would like to know whats been done to the motor? Whats that thing weigh 32 or 3400 assuming it has full interior.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes the car has full interior and everything.
engine is a 350(4 bolt main engine) .030 over
eagle cast steel 3.75 stroke crank
speed pro forged pistons 10:1 compression
world product sportsman II heads with roller rockers
lunati voodoo cam .525/.546 lift
performer intake manifold
3310 holley carb vaccum secondary

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
i dont have a line lock but everytime i went in the water pit i would floor it and burnout until i got to the lights
You're gonna have to just hold it with the foot brake and stay in the waterbox until you get some smoke, then drive it out of the box. The front brakes will hold you there while the tires spin. I noticed the rpm went to the moon, but the tires aren't getting any heat in them the way you're doing it now, and you might also be dragging water to the line. Try to start the burnout slower(not so much tire speed) so it doesn't fling as much water into your fenderwells, which then drips back down and.........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts