Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my junk 350 picked up a little more tonight--a new best 8.12/82 mph. I launched it off the trans brake as high as it would go; one of the crew said it actually had a little air under the tires! It seems to like less heat than I thought--ran it about 150 degrees and it picked up over 1 mph even with the air not as good as last week. Got a few pix of a familiar car too:
UP

DOWN

UP AGAIN

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Bowtie,
That photo of the landing really shows the pounding the front end receives. It's definately more brutal than I anticipated, and the front tires had 32 pounds in them! I ended up winning the wheelstand contest against Crazy Connie in the Vega. I heard that she had a higher wheelstand at the launch, but I picked up the front end real well in 3 gears, so I ended up winning. I'll probably end up going back to Irwindale sometime in the summer, and I will be going to Pomona next weekend to run at Goodguys.
Bill

·
Registered
461 Posts
Great pictures, now I can see exactly how streightaxlenova's front end is set up>:D

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up winning the wheelstand contest against Crazy Connie in the Vega. I heard that she had a higher wheelstand
I figured you might take it--the crowd loves the way she gets all crossed up and stays in it, but they also like multiple wheelies! Congrats!

P.S. I think Connie still has the distance record with her Comet at 350 ft.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
What are those little wheels in the sticks hanging out the back? I think if you got rid of those your wheelie problems would be cured. Put it on the bumper. LOL I wish my car will leave like that when it's finished, but without the landing. Dave

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
65 Post said:
What are those little wheels in the sticks hanging out the back? I think if you got rid of those your wheelie problems would be cured. Put it on the bumper. LOL I wish my car will leave like that when it's finished, but without the landing. Dave
65Post,
I use the wheelie bars just to keep the car off of the roof. If you are planning on wheel standing the car, the landing is part of the deal. Some landings are soft, and some pretty brutal, as you can see,and it depends on a lot of different conditions. The main thing to do is keep your foot in it, no matter what. On one pass on Thursday night, I picked up the frontend around 2 feet high in 3rd gear, and you have to have confidence in your setup when you are driving through a wheelstand at 90 mph+ . I know of several people that have destroyed alot of parts from some violent wheelstands, but you have to pay to play. The photo below was taken at LACR 100' out from the tree. This was with the wheelie bars moved up 1 1/2" up from where they are set now. If this looks like something you want to do, then have fun. I do.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I'm just bustin your chops. I love your car and what it does. I grew up with the gassers. There's a gasser reunion at our local track I'll be going to in June. I've driven a blown Chevette with this supercharged group and put it on the bumper. It had a Rodeck in it and when I left it went straight up and back down, smashing the Hamburger steel pan into the concrete before the 60ft lights. Not one drop came out. I just like wheelies. I'm setting my 65 up like a stocker, but I wish it would leave like a GT car. Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts