Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I’m wondering if anyone has swapped in anything like a Irs corvette rear end. I’m considering doing this and was hoping someone out there has some knowledge they’d be willing to share.

·
Registered
74 Nova
64 Posts
This guy has been successful at installing the 2015 Mustang independent rear suspension cradle in Datsun Z's and is currently researching how to fit them in a couple of other models, specifically the Camaro/Nova platform. Of course, that is the third gen not the 1/2 gen you are asking about, but it might give you some ideas...

·
Registered
493 Posts
While you could, if the rest of the car is stock/untouched, don't expect a huge benefit. IRS isn't the whole part of what makes cars handle well. You can make leaf spring cars handle with the right addition of parts without hacking the car up.

Making an assumption by the older 15" aluminum wheels and stock ride height, I'm going to guess the suspension in your car is TBD?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While you could, if the rest of the car is stock/untouched, don't expect a huge benefit. IRS isn't the whole part of what makes cars handle well. You can make leaf spring cars handle with the right addition of parts without hacking the car up.

Making an assumption by the older 15" aluminum wheels and stock ride height, I'm going to guess the suspension in your car is TBD?

I bought the car from a freind who had purchased a hiedts Irs and has it mocked up. I’ll need to finish that install. I don’t have a lot of experience with cars but I build and road race motorcycles here in Portland Oregon at the local club level. I’m a carpenter by trade. I don’t plan on racing this car but I would like it to handle better as a driver. I definitely like the idea of making it handle better without hacking it up. I did purchase sub frame connectors from a company named Church Boys. It has a 283 which runs fine so I figured I’d keep that…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts