Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some 041 triangle heads at a junk yard. How well do these heads flow? They are asking $30.00 a piece for them. Whats the max hp I could see out of these heads? Just trying to weigh my options here.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
jlowery78 said:
I found some 041 triangle heads at a junk yard. How well do these heads flow? They are asking $30.00 a piece for them. Whats the max hp I could see out of these heads? Just trying to weigh my options here.
well the 041 head was used on the in '68 and 300HP motors in '69, and '70. They are decent factory performance heads and IMHO If they are not totally shot would be a good scoop...possibly offer 45 or 50 bucks for the pair of them:)

They have 64 CC chambers and normally are found with 1.94"/1.5" valves but I have read on here that some can be found with 2.02"/1.6" valves or they can be added to the head if required. With all things being equal a flat top (four eyebrow)pistons will net you around 10:1CR...but you ALWAYS should measure your combo to verify your CR ;)

Mortec website said:
3947040....68......327.........."Right angle" casting identifier, 64cc chambers, good HP head,
used in trucks, no accessory holes

3947041....69-70...302/350......"Right angle" casting identifier, 64cc chamber, accessory holes, good HP head

3947041X...69-70...302/350......"Right angle" casting identifier, 64cc chamber, 165cc intake port, accessory holes, good HP head
http://www.geocities.com/rscott77070/headguide.html

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
They don't have hard seats for todays gas, and they probably need a total rebuild, and you're quickly up over 350/400 dollars, which puts you within $200 of several heads which will outperform the 41's by a ton. Just depends on what you want to do, they were a second choice head 35 years ago.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Fatcat said:
They don't have hard seats for todays gas, and they probably need a total rebuild, and you're quickly up over 350/400 dollars, which puts you within $200 of several heads which will outperform the 41's by a ton. Just depends on what you want to do, they were a second choice head 35 years ago.

Contrary to my previous statement...Fatcat's advice is very good advice. It all depends on what your expectations for the motor are and how much work($$$) would be required to make the heads serviceable? :)

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
If they are in great shape and ready to go they are Ok. If you need seats, studs, valves, springs, locks, retainers, seals, guides, spring pockets enlarged, valve job they might be expensive that's if they aren't cracked when the machine shop magnafluxes them. That is a good price for them to take to a swap meet and sell to a restoration person.
When I rebuilt my BBC the old cast iron heads needed lots of work. I checked prices on parts and labor, then I spent slightly more money and bought Edelbrock RPM aluminium heads. Better heads, for about 400-600 more dollars, I sold the cast iron heads to a person restoring a 375hp 69 Camaro for $450.00.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hi,

In my opinion the 041s are probably the best of the small chamber production high perf heads. With the exception of the 461xs, they are on an average the best flowing head, if you consider valve size. I have never seen this casting with any valves size other than 1.94, but I have modified many for larger valves.

Just my opinion guys.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
stock z/28 said:
Hi,

In my opinion the 041s are probably the best of the small chamber production high perf heads. With the exception of the 461xs, they are on an average the best flowing head, if you consider valve size. I have never seen this casting with any valves size other than 1.94, but I have modified many for larger valves.

Just my opinion guys.

Jeff
well to me that is good news about the 041's since these are the heads I'm running...:cool:.....unless of course I don't:rolleyes: :D

BTW Jeff, IMO your insight is always educational:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts