Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a piece a paper hog tied to my blue cloth rear seat. The piece of paper attached to the seat has the trim number 751. I thought 751 is for black vinyl bench. But my cowl tag says 756. Which the seat looks to be a blue cloth bench which goes with 756. I’m super confused why my blue cloth seat has a trim card hog tied to the back of the seat labeling it as 751! Can anyone help shed some light on this situation?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Maybe the seat had been recovered at some point using the frame from a black seat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the seat had been recovered at some point using the frame from a black seat?
This is what I was thinking at first, but it makes no sense for someone to recover the back seat and make it look like the dark blue cloth seat (756) and have the rest of the interior painted black over the blue. I’m just trying to get this car back to factory and all this is getting confusing haha

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Never rule out the possibility that previous owner was a lunatic and did things that make no sense to those of us that aren't.

·
15,201 Posts
First, it's always a good idea when you have a question to mention the year and model of your car. This makes it easier by only having to research one years data. The 751 and 756 codes were used on the Nova from 1971-74. I'm thinking yours is a '71 or '72.

In any event, there may be no 'for sure' explanation for how a seat coded 751 made it into a car with everything code 756. Stranger things have happened in these years. In many instances, they never looked at the tag. It was a blue cloth seat and that's what they needed, in it went. If the tag is original, it's clearly wrong. There have been numerous instances recorded about similar problems in this era. Finding seats or door panels the right color, but different patterns front and back was another frequent error. I'd go with the cowl tag. If it says 756 and that matches what's in the car, you're good to go.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, it's always a good idea when you have a question to mention the year and model of your car. This makes it easier by only having to research one years data. The 751 and 756 codes were used on the Nova from 1971-74. I'm thinking yours is a '71 or '72.

In any event, there may be no 'for sure' explanation for how a seat coded 751 made it into a car with everything code 756. Stranger things have happened in these years. In many instances, they never looked at the tag. It was a blue cloth seat and that's what they needed, in it went. If the tag is original, it's clearly wrong. There have been numerous instances recorded about similar problems in this era. Finding seats or door panels the right color, but different patterns front and back was another frequent error. I'd go with the cowl tag. If it says 756 and that matches what's in the car, you're good to go.

Bob
Yeah sorry. My car is a 1972 Skyroof nova. I’m assuming the seat came from factory but put a different tag on it. Because the previous owner painted the rest of the interior black. In my mind it wouldn’t make sense for him to recover a 751 rear seat that is already black vinyl and make it dark blue cloth.

·
Super Moderator
4,843 Posts
Gotta put in with Bob. I don't think they looked at tags, they looked at color and if it worked, it worked. They never thought you'd see the tag, anyway! On my '65 wagon when I took it apart for restoration, I found the tag under the carpet stamped in ink with the date it was made: 11-31-64 . Can't trust the tags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts