Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i just striped the inside of my 63.the one thing that i notice is that i dont have any rust.man i feel lucky.but the sealant is really old it just flakes off.once i scrape all of this stuff off what do you use to replace it?
do i just clean the whole inside of my car then throw primer on it?
let my know what you guys did.
i have no rush on this i am taking this car completly apart i want to restore it correctly.
i am not going for an original restoration.
but i dont want to have to take it apert once its done to do it again because i should have done it a diffrent way.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
If you're talking about the seams where the panels are joined, I use seam sealer, available at any paint store. HTH Mike

·
5,152 Posts
hi guys i just striped the inside of my 63.the one thing that i notice is that i dont have any rust.man i feel lucky.but the sealant is really old it just flakes off.once i scrape all of this stuff off what do you use to replace it?
do i just clean the whole inside of my car then throw primer on it?
let my know what you guys did.
i have no rush on this i am taking this car completly apart i want to restore it correctly.
i am not going for an original restoration.
but i dont want to have to take it apert once its done to do it again because i should have done it a diffrent way.
Use an automotive seam sealer. They are designed to be compatible with the other auto products you will be using, paint, primer etc.
They are also flexible after drying so they won't crack.
I prefer a two part but you would have to buy an application gun (like a caulking gun). If that's not in the budget use a one part like 3M brushable

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thank you guys for replying to this post.yes it is for the seams where the panels are joined.

TechNova is there a certain name mark that you use?
i dont mind buying a gun if its going to make it easier and faster.aslong as the gun is not over $200

thanks once again

·
5,152 Posts
hey thank you guys for replying to this post.yes it is for the seams where the panels are joined.

TechNova is there a certain name mark that you use?
i dont mind buying a gun if its going to make it easier and faster.aslong as the gun is not over $200

thanks once again

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.
Go to www.fusor.com
They have a variety of seam sealers based on your needs. Some are brushable, some are designed to lay out as beads.
I think the gun is $52. It is the same gun for Fusor plastic repair adhesives 142 & 152 and their metal bonding adhesive.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
to piggy back on this question....

after stripping my floor and treating it with "Rust Doctor", is it better to go ahead and prime THEN put on the seam sealer or use the seam sealer on the bare metal and THEN prime. I'll be doing a final rattle can coat of semi gloss rustoleum then some butyl stick on sound deadener. I was thinking the sealer first. Of which I'll probably go with that eastwood stuff

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
you can find some good 3M products at your local body supply shop. I used a interior seam sealer, same black stuff as old. I think it says to paint and then add the sealer, its on the instructions. You can also us a 2 part like mentioned above, the stuff is probably 3-4 times the cost, but good. Uses a two aprt gun, depending on the size you get, anywhere from 50 to 200 bucks for the gun. I already had a large gun and used it for the smaller 6 oz tubes.

I read that you want to do it right. Not to hassle but why would you use rustoleam rattle can? Thats just wrong.:no: Paint something with rustoleam and leave it outside for awhile, it'll start rusting. I would paint the floor with a epoxy primer and call it a day. Its not cheap either, but its the better way.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Well..

with the butyl stick on sound deadener. I didnt think Id need to worry about it really being introduced to the elements IN the car. Ive gone to look for these sealants and will need to mail order. Nowhere near here, or close anyways, has the right stuff.
Almost forgot, cant POR 15 be used with similar results? sorry to hijack the thread

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
f16fxr4real Well..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
with the butyl stick on sound deadener. I didnt think Id need to worry about it really being introduced to the elements IN the car. Ive gone to look for these sealants and will need to mail order. Nowhere near here, or close anyways, has the right stuff.
Almost forgot, cant POR 15 be used with similar results? sorry to hijack the thread dont feel that you are hijacking.i am also reading it and i like the answers i am reading.i am sure you and myself are not the only ones with these types of questions:yes:

·
Registered
458 Posts
i used 3m seam sealer on my nova, remember to spray some kind of etching primer on the bare metal, or else the metal will start rusting into the seam sealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My floor pans were basicly rust free. After cleaning off 40+ years of dirt & crud, I used POR 15 with great results. Seam sealer went on afterwards followed with some rattle can black.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts