Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
14,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the old and very rotted headliner out of my 69 the other day. I got a ton of brown powder that fell out as soon as I started pulling the edges loose. The powder was from the brown insulation?? that is attached to the under side of the roof. Most of it will just come down if you just rub your finger on it. What have you folks done as far as replacing it. I was thinking about possibly dynamat or spray on undercoat. I would worry that the dynamat might be too heavy and possibly bow the top or just fall down eventually. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
14,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roof insulation

The dynamat that I put in the doors of my 72 was pretty heavy. The whole roll as it came out of the box probably weighed 30# or more. I'm not sure it would be a problem, but I don't want to put it in and have problems later. Especially coming loose from the roof and falling on the headliner.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Insulation

Quiet Ride has a whole interior kit for the Nova. It's cut to size. You can also buy just the roof if you'd like. It's a combination of Dynamat and foil insulation. Here's there website.

www.quietride.com

I think I'm going to do a write up of the kit once mine arrives, and nobody else has done it.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
do a search on here as there is some stuff you can get from Home Depot or Loews (cant remember which one) that works well and doesn't weigh or cost a ton...anyway its been talked about before:)

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
That's a little pricy, but probably worth the $, since it's all laid out for you. I need to replace the floor pan on the pass side then I would consider it. Thanks for the link.

Denis

·
Registered
546 Posts
No Problem.
I'll most likely has a small write up on my car when I get to installing the insualtion kit. I'll also hopefully be at the Minnesota Back to the Fifties car show if anybody wants to take a look at my car with the insualtion in it.

·
6,502 Posts
I went though mine a few months ago and below is a link to the work I did.

I had other issues with the inner roof beam being bent down from someone or something pushing down the center of the roof skin but luckily the skin popped back up but I had to straighten and reinforce the inner beam.

I removed all of the factory sound deadener glued to the underside of the roof skin on mine and applied a rust preventative paint. It too was a brown powdery material that was "real" fun to remove. I also shot paint in areas I was anable to brush the paint onto the surface. Like anything else you need to get all of the old stuff off and any glue before applting new materials.

After the paint was dry on mine I then applied liquid nail out of a cartridge gun to the topside of the inner roof beam to join it to the underside of the roof skin. Now after a few weeks the glue has dried and the roof is a lot stronger as the added metal and glue help to reinforce the thin sheet metal skin.

Below is a link to the work I did on the inner roof beam.

http://community.webshots.com/album/512271998TnjKsx

When I get further along on the car I will probably use the spray on type sound deadener or the stuff you spread on. I'm leary of the stick on sound deadeners having gravity and heat working against it on the underside of the roof skin.

You may also look at this thread from Polk audio's web site:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35964

Jim

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I too just went down this road. I decided to go with the stuff from HomeDepot because it is very light and if it falls down it hopefully won't show through the headliner. I thought about jute and other products but decided to save them for under the door panels and under the carpet. I'm going to use fatmat if it ever arrives. It's been 3 1/2 weeks since I ordered it. I'm hoping it works well. I might still use dynamat extreme on the sail panels, I haven't decided to do about them right now.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The HD "bubble" wrap with foil on both sides works well as it has a decent insulation value as well as a vapor barrier and is very lite weight. Cuts easily and installs great with 3M super glue. Heres a pic of my 67 with the wrap. Also most swap meets around in my area as well as hot rod shops carry the same stuff at about the same cost as HD

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/plsmswain/detail?.dir=33b1&.dnm=f8d9.jpg&.src=ph

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
dynamat will also work just fine. It's not too heavy. it is comparable with the oem stuff in some newer cars. just make sure to clean the roof very well and lay the dynamat out in the sun for a while so it sticks better. BTW use dynamat extreme its much better than the dynamat original.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts