Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just purchased a 74 nova and joined the site. The car needs some work but is a solid foundation to restore. Anyway question about the interior. Been shopping online and noticed not much for replacement interior panels for a 74. But looks like 72 and older is different and there is more availability of interior panels and they are not plastic. Is it possible to put 72 interior parts in a 74? Plus I like the look of the vinyl covered panels anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Welcome to steves nova site. 72 interior pieces are not a right fit for a 74.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a 74 2 door for a long time, restoration is in process and I've been wondering the same thing. My interior panels are garbage, especially the door panels. A friend had a 70, and with the exception of the vent window cutout, the panels looked like they'd fit based on a rough test fit of his panels on my door. Same with the rear panels and sail panel. My current plan is to order the 72 door panels front and rear, sail panels (I know they'll look different and don't care, and I may have to modify them some to fit), and switch the headliner over to a bow style.

If that doesn't work then I guess I'm making some custom panels based off the originals, because I refuse to spend the $600 on some unassembled 73-74 only front rear panels (black only!) :mad: and STILL have to do custom rear panels!

Of course if anybody has a source that I've missed, I'd be very happy to be wrong on these and be able to just order ones that fit!!:yes::yes:

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I also think the real door panels are bigger on the 73/74 cars than the 72 models.

You can buy the rear door panels on eBay but they are not cheap. Maybe you can make a lower offer and they might accept it.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
they have numerous vendor(s) out there that have the front door panel(s) ...

but your best bet is searching around the net for individual(s) that are sending car(s) heading to the tin can heaven in the sky

or

make your own with using your existing ones as template(s)

73/ 74 nova(s) do not have a large selection of part(s) available like they do for the 68 - 72 ones. but it seems to be growing every year tho

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went through the stuff the guy gave me with the car. He gave me another set of door panels but there shot and he gave some extra plastic panels and headliner trim that’s black. Those seem in ok shape. The cars original color for the panels and trim are either white or an off white. Very ugly. And some of those pieces are worn anyways. Got lucky on the seats in good shape and already black. But everything else needs to be swapped out or replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
If I win the lotto I will open a manufacturing plant and reproduce the 73 74 parts. Front door panels are reproduced but only in black? The rear panels and sail panels are next to impossible to find. I always keep my eyes open at swap meets 2 yrs ago I picked up rear panels fir 40$ that were in good condition not bew by all means but at least they weren't deteriorating into dust like my originals. Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good resources Novamaniac! I guess I was using old prices from Classic Industries...

The only reason I want to try the 72 rear panels, is my friend had a 70, and I basically test fit his panels in my car while he had it apart. It seemed like it would work, but there may be some combination of the door panel/sail panel that doesn't work.

Has anybody actually tried it? I'm curious...

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,037 Posts
I think the area around the rear window will be difficult to fit: the 73/73 windows are bigger then the 68-72 in the back and top. the part of the panel that goes around that area will actually need to be trimmed so maybe it will work.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,037 Posts
The rear view mirrors you have in the picture are expensive. If they can be salvaged they would be cool. the D/S has a remote in the door, you can get the door mount for it at classic ind etc. the passenger side does not have remote.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts