Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a couple of interior lights in the wagon yesterday ,and ran into a situation .
after I completed the wiring and installed the lamps , they stayed illuminated :confused:
even when I disconnected them from the ground source , this made me think that wiring somewhere up in the roof or the light base , was grounding out against the body .
so I removed the pass side light base and the lights went off so I checked the terminals on the back of the light base to see if they were grounding out and it was not .
then I took a close look at the light base , at the area where the lamp terminals mount , and discovered that the chrome plating on the lamp base was making contact with the lamp terminal , and when I screwed the light base to the roof, the base was grounding out to the car and compleating the circuit
so I scraped the chrome plating away from around the lamp terminal area and it worked, now the lights operate normally
schwabie

here are the holes in which the lamp terminals install ( white area ) as you can see the chrome plating extends into the lamp terminal holes and actually makes contact with the lamp terminal when installed , scrape the plating away from around the terminal hole and it will not ground out when screwed to the roof

I turned the lights 90 deg. from stock placement and installed one on each side of the rag top

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
EXCELLENT info........:yes::thumbsup:

I had the same problem awhile back. In looking at an original dome lamp base, that area was free of plating., thus leading me to the same conclusion as you've discovered.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Craig, when I saw your thread title I thought...this must be a good (bad) one if a fellow electrician can't figure it out. Then I read your post..I should have known better that you had already figured it out. Good show, Watson. Excellent trouble shooting skills, as I expected bro. Lights look good too:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Craig, when I saw your thread title I thought...this must be a good (bad) one if a fellow electrician can't figure it out. Then I read your post..I should have known better that you had already figured it out. Good show, Watson. Excellent trouble shooting skills, as I expected bro. Lights look good too:cool:
:D:D:Dthank you ,thank you very much :thumbsup:
kemoschwabie

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That schwabie is always thinking which explains why sometimes he seems to be in a world of his own. :yes: Well that explains it part of the time.:D:D

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That schwabie is always thinking which explains why sometimes he seems to be in a world of his own. :yes: Well that explains it part of the time.:D:D
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:
yes sir I AM truly a space cadet :rolleyes: ...waaaaaay out there in outa space
like a super nova :D one bright moment then ,,,fizzzle out :sleep:
kemoschwabie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts