Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '63 Chevy II, 194-6, completely stock.
With all heater controls shut off I still get considerable interior heat from the interior heater core and shroud area. No blower on. I have checked all of the interior heater controls and all appear to be working correctly. The flapper is closing.
Under the hood the two heater hoses simply connect to the interior core. So it appears that hot water is always running through the interior core. The heat then just transfers into the interior of the car. In colder weather its not bad but summer, not good.
Is this typical? Or is something else going on?
Can a 1/4 turn shut off valve be installed in one of the hoses under the hood to stop the water flow? And somehow connected to and operated with the interior heater control knob? Or is that not a good idea to stop the flow?
I don't remember having this issue with the first '63 that I had in the late '70's.
Thanks for any help.
Jim

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
That's the way they work, the seal on the flapper doors could be worn and letting more than normal heat in, but its always gonna give off some heat.

Its fine to block off the heater hoses with a valve. In the assembly manual GM would block off the holes on the engine for heater delete cars.

The 67 assembly manual shows this for RPO C48 (Less Heater Equipment).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the way they work, the seal on the flapper doors could be worn and letting more than normal heat in, but its always gonna give off some heat.

Its fine to block off the heater hoses with a valve. In the assembly manual GM would block off the holes on the engine for heater delete cars.

The 67 assembly manual shows this for RPO C48 (Less Heater Equipment).
Thanks for the reply.
If or when I get into the heater core area, I'll check on how tight things seal.
I'm going to now see if I can come up with a valve (installed in the hose) and a way to operate it with the heater control pull knob. To control the water flow when heat is requested.
Maybe someone has already done that?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
i think what your talking about doing is installing a ball valve on the heater hose. i just wonder if you could use like the cable on a manual chock set-up.

·
Super Moderator
3,894 Posts
I have seen the valve installed on old cars. Really don't need it in the case of a Nova if the heater core is good and the unit itself is operating properly.

If the seals for the flap or elsewhere in the heater box are shot, then you're going to get heat in there all the time; guarantee that something isn't closing completely or the unit isn't sealing. It's actually not that big a project to disconnect the hoses after draining the coolant, removing the whole heater unit with the motor and fan, and going through it. Working properly with good seals, no heat comes into the car.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,761 Posts
Jim

For your heater not working correctly. Easy fix ... install a small type ball valve into your heater hose , to stop the Hot Water flow into your interior. i think you can do the install where as to look good , and kinda blend in under your hood.

Even on my 69 ... my 1st heater slider lever is broken-off -- makes my heater either Hot - or - Cold ( I'm not too bright -- using a screw-driver to turn on/off my heater.
Plus, on the 3rd gens , they have a "heater control valve" in the heater hose , under the hood to control hot/cold by that broken slider.

#1 ... interior picture of my "broken heater control -- for Hot & Cold" :

#2 ... 3rd gen "heater water control valve" under the hood (controled by 'vacuum line' .

Good thing for me is --- here in Chino Valley ............................
we don't have the "River Ice is Breaking - up" situation ............
(got-cha) ..... more nice & sunny for the most part.

............ jim

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I rebuilt the heater boxes on both my first gens and neither one have heat coming in. Like AllyMcReal said, pull the box and check/replace the seals and that will fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim

For your heater not working correctly. Easy fix ... install a small type ball valve into your heater hose , to stop the Hot Water flow into your interior. i think you can do the install where as to look good , and kinda blend in under your hood.

Even on my 69 ... my 1st heater slider lever is broken-off -- makes my heater either Hot - or - Cold ( I'm not too bright -- using a screw-driver to turn on/off my heater.
Plus, on the 3rd gens , they have a "heater control valve" in the heater hose , under the hood to control hot/cold by that broken slider.

#1 ... interior picture of my "broken heater control -- for Hot & Cold" :

#2 ... 3rd gen "heater water control valve" under the hood (controled by 'vacuum line' .

Good thing for me is --- here in Chino Valley ............................
we don't have the "River Ice is Breaking - up" situation ............
(got-cha) ..... more nice & sunny for the most part.

............ jim
I rebuilt the heater boxes on both my first gens and neither one have heat coming in. Like AllyMcReal said, pull the box and check/replace the seals and that will fix it.
I have read all of your above replies, Thanks.
You have me convinced that I should pull the heater and housing and check for how well things seal. And repair seals or adjust if necessary.

Twinshadows, you're every where on this site, has been helping me regarding timing and harmonic balancer on this same car. I'll be replacing the balancer and will be pulling the radiator at that time. SO, a good time to pull the heater and do what is needed then. If that doesn't solve the heat problem, I may then continue with the 1/4 turn ball valve idea.
Anybody know of a good ball valve to use if I do?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Jim

you want to install a water valve : look at this Part # 74677 @
O'Reilly Auto Parts.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=74677

Installs in your heater hose AND can hook-up a (push / pull) type cable, and will "WORK INSIDE" your 63. Easy fix to control hot/cold until you get the repair done.
click on the valve ... just what you said ...
Install the valve --- then the cable is your choice. It's common heater water control valve on many Fo-d trucks ...... & works great.
cheap enough -- SNS @ work, again .......... jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim

you want to install a water valve : look at this Part # 74677 @
O'Reilly Auto Parts.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=74677

Installs in your heater hose AND can hook-up a (push / pull) type cable, and will "WORK INSIDE" your 63. Easy fix to control hot/cold until you get the repair done.
click on the valve ... just what you said ...
Install the valve --- then the cable is your choice. It's common heater water control valve on many Fo-d trucks ...... & works great.
cheap enough -- SNS @ work, again .......... jim
Jim
Just looked at that valve. Should fit the bill.
Too bad both in and out are not 5/8".
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Jim
Just looked at that valve. Should fit the bill.
Too bad both in and out are not 5/8".
Thanks,
Jim
I've used those heater valves alot (we had a fleet of Ford Trucks at work).
I think you may use some lube on the valve & lube the hose end , and it may just fit 5/8" heater hose. Then, the valve is even marked on/off , so a pull cable is not needed ....... but is good to have. That's how I knew what to look up ... and after you get it installed ... the hose will support it (not very heavy).
I've also used a lighter to gently heat the end of the hose .. then quickly push it on the large end ... use good gloves.
Then , look at the valve ---- it is directional : install in the hose as if you were going to install a "Pull-Cable inside your Nova" === see what I mean . The hold-down small screw goes towards the Dash.

hey .... buddy .... just think of be th' next time while in the 'Pacer'.

............... N1168C .............. jim

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
i read on another post of a guy repairing the heater box door seals. he used material from a mouse pad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i read on another post of a guy repairing the heater box door seals. he used material from a mouse pad.
You read my mind.
I was wondering once I get there, don't really know what any seals may look like or are made of. So, what material to use for new seals?
Moose pad, sounds reasonable. Can it stand the heat over time?
A silicon material? Or can't that be glued?
I haven't looked yet but Classic or Eklers probably has material for that.
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
JHA..... check this link out. this guy just rebuilt a heater box. contact him maybe he can give you some pointers. an he is the one that used the mouse pad.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633465&page=9
I did look at his site. He got serious.
I did find a heater box seal kit at GM Classics. Don't remember the exact cost, haven't bought it. But I think about $15. Contains a fair # of pieces.
So I may check and make sure that it is good for the '63 Chevy II and order it.
Thanks
Here is the link for the the seal kit https://gmclassics.com/shop/heating-cooling/heater-box-seal-kit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts