Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I replaced the original trunk weatherstripping on my '69 with a new SoftSeal strip, I noticed that the old, original weatherstrip had a string embedded throughout the length of the strip, while the new SoftSeal didn't. I'm assuming that the string was there to make the removal of the old one easier as you pulled the old one off, most of the rubber came with it. Soft Seal should have followed up.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
But now your car can wear a bikini bottom without having to worry about a string hanging out!!!:eek:

I guess I'd choose young and firm over old and saggy with a string hangen out the rear anyday!!!!:D ;)

Other then that "little" differance, I hope it's otherwise a perfect fit!!

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
i bought a factory gm one a few months ago and man my trunk lid wont latch, did you need it to sit out in the sun for awhile or what??

·
Super Moderator
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because the rubber on the new one is more dense than the old, I have to close the trunk with a little more force than before, but it closes and seals fine. I did leave the new coil of SoftSeal out in the sun before I put it on, just to make it a little more pliable. It's important to remove all the old rubber residue from the channel before installing the new one, otherwise it won't snap into the groove, and may stick up too high and prevent your trunk lid from closing properly.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
strtlegal said:
i bought a factory gm one a few months ago and man my trunk lid wont latch, did you need it to sit out in the sun for awhile or what??
The GM ones we used on Corvettes in the early 80s were hard as hell. Much better when the aftermaket started making them.

·
Super Moderator
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NIGHTSHADE said:
Did you need to glue it in? With what?
Yes, you need to run a bead of adhesive along the channel. I use the black 3M weatherstrip adhesive which works well. It dries pretty fast, so it's best to do about 3 ft at a time, otherwise it's almost dry by the time you get to it. I cleaned any of that white packing powder off of the SoftSeal, wiped a skim coat of adhesive on the base of the weatherstrip, and another very thin skim coat on the base of the channel, let it dry, and then put a 3 ft. bead of adhesive in the channel and snapped the SoftSeal in, then did another 3' and moved around the trunk. There's usually a foot or so of extra weatherstrip, so there's no need to stretch it, which you wouldn't want to do, anyways.
I've done weatherstripping before (not SoftSeal) and even used some supposedly n.o.s. trunk seal once, but I've never seen any with the string embedded in the rubber like the one that I just removed. I'm curious if GM had different venders supplying weatherseal, and some had string, others didn't. Not a big thing, but was curious if anyone knew the scoop.

·
Registered
388 Posts
strtlegal said:
Our in the 66 did the same thing - don't force it - you may tweak your trunk. Loosen the trunk latch to get the trunk to close for a few days, then tighten until you're back at the original setting.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
thanks guys, ill let it set out in the sun, its been warm enough it shouldnt be a problem..somebody on here highly recomended the gm w/strip so i went that route, damn it was $80.

i know it will seal good just getting it to lay down is the biggest task, it seams the highest part is the front part of the trunk, when the seal makes the turn on each side it stands straight up and i cant tuck it in anymore..well ill see what i can do

thanks again

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I use the black 3M adhesive sparingly. It hold very well, and excess only leads to mess. You can also use it to stick the two ends of the seal together. Also, I've tried several different brands of trunk seals, and found that SoffSeal worked the best. They do a really nice job on most of the weatherstriping. I just wish they would perfect their window seals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts