Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if I can use parts off a 1973 Olds Omega for a 1972 Nova...both 2dr. I hope so, I found a good donor car if they can be interchangable. Parts I was hoping to use are the rear frame rails, rear bumper, door jams, and other smaller parts.

The cars look like they have the same platform but I am not sure about it. I know I can use the ventura but not sure on the omega.

Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i think so but not sure i have a chevy parts interchangeability book let me know what ya want to change and my book will tell ya , jim

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
the rear bumper is different from the 72

but everything else should work ....:cool:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i checked my iterchange manual . it only covers cars from 59-70 but it will include the newer years of cars if those parts will work , i just checked under doors 68-70 nova , it doesn't mention the omega as a fit for 68-70, but i know its built under the x platform , so i would think many parts would fit your 72, but as mentioned the bumpers are def diff, i had a friend that had a 78 or 79 omega that had the sport package in it and it was built with a chevy 350 in it from the factory,it was actually a pretty nice car, had buckets console and a stripe package, and i remember thinking that the doors and dash look exactly the same...as the nova.... sorry i wasnt more help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your input, it was lots of help. I am going to go pick up the car tomorrow. The price is right, if I only can use the rear frame rails, it will have saved me money.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
well cool , they got to be kinda close no mater what anyways, i would think if there a little diff, you could prolly modifi it to make it work.. let me know how it goes... now im really curious and this may help other people with the same question, good luck..

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Hi Slowholer,

The 73 Olds Omega is built on the X-body platform so it is pretty much the same car as a 73 Nova, Ventura or Apollo. However, GM changed a lot of stuff on these cars for 73 so the parts interchange with your 72 is going to be limited.

As 67nova73 said, the rear bumper is definitely different.

The rear subframe rails aren't going to be an exact fit either because the trunk floor was re-designed in 73 to accomodate a larger gas tank. You might still be able to modify them to work though ... I'd recommend taking lots of measurements and/or tracing out some cardboard templates of the profile where they meet up against the bottom of the trunk floor just to see how much of a difference you'll be dealing with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts