Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading an old hot rod magazine i have discovered that they have a modificiation they have done to a regular intake manifold. that is removing the center divider on a dual plane intake manifold no more than an inch deep. i was thinking of doing this to my regular performer intake manifold and running a spacer with a holley. have you guys heard of this before?

Chad

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Since Edelbrock offers intakes specifically for different RPM ranges, and have countless hours of research in their development, I'd be hesitant to go wacking away on the divider. I would however be all in favor to adding spacers till I ran out of room or the increase in performance fell off, have seen some engine combos that really liked more plenum.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
GM did that on some of the factory manifolds. My old BBC GM intake had that done to it. It is suppossed to add more power in the upper RPM range. I would be careful because it might make it worse and lose HP. If you change it I would copy the amount off another intake.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Back in the 70s we use to machine the divider out completely add slots to the sides then make a new divider to slip in. You could make the divider differently so you could play with them to gain power, or torque. That was effective for that time. Lots more manifold options and configurations today make it not necessary unless you are stuck with a certain manifold for some reason. RM

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya this is in a chevrolet power magazine from gm. they did this to a regular z28 intake manifold for more power. i think i might just give it a try.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you try it ...start by cutting out some,then gradually cut more so you can "see" what it does.The divider is to give the carb a better signal and thus better low or a broader torque band.I bet this would work in a light car or a heavily geared car.May hurt a heavy car.Just my thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts