Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Replaced my intake manifold with an edelbrock performer but there seems to be a threaded hole near the thermostat which allows coolant out of it. Can I simply just thread a bolt in there? or is there something that should/needs to go there? I can post a pic of the problem as well. It's the small one to the left of the "USA" tag. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Appears to be a casting flaw. That bolt hole should not leak. Quick fix is a short bolt with rtv on the threads in the hole.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay perfect. I'm gonna check those out and order them.

Since there is an opening that's allowing coolant out is there anything I could thread in there that would serve a purpose? Like a gauge or something? Or would that be a waste?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
you can probably try home depo/ lowes if they have anything available ?

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,931 Posts
look at your water-pump .... get a 'pipe-plug' like that (with the correct npt size) or -- an allen head type plug (npt threads) and install into the 'larger-hole' --- that is most likely where the "coolant is leaking".

sure the 'small bolt hole' has coolant in it , because of the larger hole.... that small 'bolt hole' should-not have coolant. (you can install a regular bolt with 'RTV' on the threads there anyway ... but, that hole should-not go through). stick a small screw-driver point into that small bolt hole ... it should have a bottom -- see what - I - mean.
IF YOU install a bolt into that 'small bolt hole -- that's fine , just clean out the 'coolant first' ..... then, install the bolt .

hope this helps .....

(that larger hole is for an electric water sender ... look at your driver's side head, there may be an electric water 'Temp' sender there).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright perfect I'll check those out and install them. Refill coolant and check everything out.

Thanks for the info everybody!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was on there when I got the car. Worst comes to worse I'll switch it out with something else. Replacing the thermostat is how I stripped the bolt in the intake which required me to replace it. Haha

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
My guess it is the thermostat housing/gasket leaking. If the bolt hole was leaking the coolant would be gushing out as soon as pressure builds in the system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When the car runs the coolant shoots up in the air about a foot or so for like a second or two then stops. Would the thermostat housing cause that?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,659 Posts
When the car runs the coolant shoots up in the air about a foot or so for like a second or two then stops.
From what specific location is the coolant shooting out from when you start/run your engine?

If you could post another photo that shows the location of the coolant leak, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Please look at the photo shown in post #1.
Are you starting/running your engine with the large threaded port that is directly below the left side of your chrome thermostat housing still open?... without some type of plug installed into this threaded port?

Same question as above.... but using a different visual reference.
See the diagram in post #8. Look at the list of items on the left hand side of the image.
Is the TEMP SENDER 3/8 PIPE opening plugged?... or is it still open as shown in the photo in post #1 while you are starting/running your engine?

If this port is still open, it needs to be plugged with a 3/8" or 1/2" NPT Plug - depending on what size fits into the port (as recommended in post #3 and #6).
You should also apply some thread sealant to the threads of the plug before installing into the open intake manifold port. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-oz-59214/7010664-P?searchTerm=thread+sealant
... or you can wrap the pipe plug threads with some Teflon tape.

When installing the plug into the intake manifold port... DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE PLUG! Just install until snug. Wait a couple hours after plug installation to let the pipe sealent setup then fill the radiator with 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water mix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That hole was left open. When I installed the intake nothing in the directions said to close it so I left it open.... my mistake!

I have the plugs ready to order through Amazon and I was getting ready to ask about what sealant to use and how but you answered that.. do I just use a bit on the threads like you would if using a thread locker?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yes, you can apply the thread sealant just like thread lock... or a little around the circumference of the threads (as stated in the post above).

Not to change the subject... but go back to post #8 and look at the diagram.
Across the bottom portion of the diagram, there are some circled numbers. Look between the circled number 2 and circled number 7. You will see "VACUUM PORT 3/8 PIPE" and follow the arrow to the port location on the intake manifold.
Do you have anything attached into this Vacuum Port?... or has this port also been left open/unplugged?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts