Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about one of the older SBC Z-28 type intakes ? I have one on hand and am thinking of using it in my build[street driven,vortech heads,mild cam,headers etc]. The cast #`s are 3972116 It`s got the Winter`s cast mark on one of the outboard intake runners and no provision for the old oil spout. Yes the Vortech`s I have have both mounting holes for either intake. Thanks as usual in advance Dale. :)

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The old Z/28 intake is somewhat a wanted commodity! Sell it!

The main problem with the old intake and a intake designed for the Vortec head is the port angle!

The ports may line up, the port angle will be wrong!

Al

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
That intake won't fit on the Vortec without butchering up the holes or redrilling the Vortec's. Even then there may be limited coverage of the upper port.
That intak is worth more to a restorer. Go with an aftermarket intake that fits. There's been decades of progress since that manifold was made.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with the newer tech. The Vortechs I have as stated do have the dual mounting abillity,[either intake pattern], but I have to agree with Big Al on the ports lining up. I guess I`ll shop around so that I can spend some more $. Again thanks for the info thats why I will throw out questions that I may know an answer to but it`s good to bounce ideas of of other people. Dale :bounce:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might hang it up after I put it in my blast cabinet for a bit to clean it up. I also might just take it with me next swap meet I make if I have some spaces. I guess I`m going to have to work a couple of extra shifts at the part time job or the Fire station.:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I wouldn't blast it if your looking to sell it.....you'll only lower the value. If your looking to keep it......I still wouldn't blast it :(
If you need to clean some crap of it and you must blast , blast it with walnut

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Rodent thanks I did just read that recently I`m glad you reminded me. And Dan I do like the RPM Air Gap ,ran one on my old Z28 with a 406/alum head combo. Thanks Dale :cool:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
That intake won't fit on the Vortec without butchering up the holes or redrilling the Vortec's.

This Vortec design Special Performance cast iron cylinder head features revised intake and exhaust ports and includes 2.00" hollow stem intake valve P/N 12555331 and 1.55" sodium filled exhaust valves P/N 12551313. The deck surface is .450" and features 65 cc combustion chambers, 175 cc intake and 65 cc exhaust ports.

All Vortec intake ports are taller and narrower than early model Chevrolet heads. The valve cover mounting holes are for both early model flange and late model center. This head also includes intake manifold mounting holes for both early model 6 bolt main and late model 4 bolt Vortec design. The head has screw in rocker studs P/N 12552126, large valve spring pocket machining, and will accept up to .530" lift camshafts without modifications.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As usual a good job Al as thats the heads I`ll be using. Dale :yes:

·
Registered
508 Posts
just throwing this out there but i sold a factory z28 manifold about a year and a half ago for $350.00. that can buy you two intakes. the z28 if off of a 69-70 camaro is worth alot of money. i still have one in my shed im going to put on my 4x4 just because!:yes:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I agree with the newer tech. The Vortechs I have as stated do have the dual mounting abillity,[either intake pattern], but I have to agree with Big Al on the ports lining up. I guess I`ll shop around so that I can spend some more $. Again thanks for the info thats why I will throw out questions that I may know an answer to but it`s good to bounce ideas of of other people. Dale :bounce:
I missed you had the dual drilled BowTie Vortec. The port mismatch vs it's value as a collectible makes it not the best choice.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Paul, I also miss read or fail to read a part of a post due to my being in a hurry or just tired. Hey none of us are perfect that award only goes to one person. Dale :pray:

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
What do you guys think about one of the older SBC Z-28 type intakes ? I have one on hand and am thinking of using it in my build[street driven,vortech heads,mild cam,headers etc]. The cast #`s are 3972116 It`s got the Winter`s cast mark on one of the outboard intake runners and no provision for the old oil spout. Yes the Vortech`s I have have both mounting holes for either intake. Thanks as usual in advance Dale. :)
If you are looking for a modern dual-plane designed in the spirit of the z/28 302 intake but is specifically-designed for Vortec heads, go with one of these.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WND-8151&autoview=sku

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
64PRONOVA your correct about that being a good choice. I had the older version, pre vortech, on 355 I had in a first gen Camaro. Thanks for bringing it up as I had forgotten about it. Dale

1 - 17 of 17 Posts