Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put in the new cam, almost ready for break in. It's a comp cams xe274 SOLID flat, that should make the afr 195's a little more happy. I have a performer rpm from the old setup, but AFR says go with a victor jr, and edelbrock says I'm way under camed for that intake, and to stay with the performer rpm. The cam is solid flat 236/[email protected]/.540(with 1.6 rockers). What do you guys think. I really don't care about bottom end tq, but I don't want to spend $200 for 10 more hp over 5000 rpm. Another thing to concider is the afr ports are the same size as the victor's.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
joey d said:
I really don't care about bottom end tq, but I don't want to spend $200 for 10 more hp over 5000 rpm

Well then dont buy the Vic Jr then cause I bet thats about(ball parkish) what you would see....JMO:)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
joey d said:
...I really don't care about bottom end tq, but I don't want to spend $200 for 10 more hp over 5000 rpm...
What rpm range are you looking to operate in? 103 mph with 3.73's and 26" tires is about 5500 rpm. With a 3200 stall converter you'll need all the grunt you can get to start the car moving, and you'll spend most of the 1/4 mile accelerating between 4000 and 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main rpm range at the track will be 3500-6200 with the new cam, which seems good for the vic jr, but might be part of crossover area where both make the same power.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I doubt if you'd lose much bottom end going from the RPM to the Jr, but it wouldn't be worth the money for the tiny power increase at higher revs. If you plan a lot more cam, compression, etc. then I would go to the Victor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts