Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got new heads for my 400 ,215 cc iron eagles 64cc chambers and 2.05 valves, replaceing camelbacks(finally!). I had a tunnel ram setup on it last year. But with the fuel cost and lots of guys saying-It would be faster without that tunnel- I guess I am going to try one carb. I have a weiand excellerator and 800cfm holley ready to go. But wonder if there is a better way to go?. I want it to go as fast as it can. best so far 12.70,s..
It has a stock crank w/5.7 rods and .020 pisons. 280 duration 535 lift solid cam and I want to keep it below 6000rpms. using 30"tall tires anda 4.33 gear 3500 stall th350.. thanks for any advice. the car is in the barn with the heads on just waiting for me to decide on the intake??????:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Intake choice?

Hey Now. As fast as it CAN, Depends on the distance you are piloting the car. Try the Weiand that you all ready have, with the 800, although I think a 650 to 750 may make et's quicker and possibly mph. You need a base line for a single 4V, This is why I suggest what you already have. Compare to previous Tunnel Ram Times/MPH's then decide your next option. Respectfully, "Bill's" II :D

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
On a combo as mild as that, I'd go with a Performer RPM Airgap--I would suggest a Victor Jr, but if you plan on staying under 6000............The Weiand might work fine too. If you already have it, use it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im leaning back towards the tunnel ram. man it sure looks alot cooler than 1 round air cleaner sitting low. tough decision:confused: :confused:
I have the single setup all ready to go also. I might flip a coin tonight !
I know that the heads alone should help alot. I sure want to see a real low 12 this year. decisions?????

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Your cardomain page puts your car at 500 hp and 2500#? This sure doesn't compute to 106 mph in the quarter. You should be running much better than that. I would run a dual plane manifold at least until the car was running 11.50's @ 118-120 before I tried the tunnel ram. My 3475# 67 ran 11.76 @ 116 with a Performer RPM on a mild 406.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The manifold you have will run good , but but for that last little bit I think the RPM Air gap would be better for your combo, either will run as good or better than the tunnel without the tuning and driveability hassles.
I used to have a tunnel on a big block a few years back and it was a pain to drive on the street, switched to a holley strip dominator intake and an 850 DP and it went just as quick and was a ton easier to drive.
FWIW, I have a 406 with a 580 lift 260 degrees at 050 cam in it, 850 holley and a Victor Jr manifold, it has awsome response, and traction issues at this point, I never would have guessed a small block with a big carb and single plane intake could make so much torque.

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
My 3475# 67 ran 11.76 @ 116 with a Performer RPM on a mild 406.
That's about what I was thinking his Nova should run--My old 391" with a Performer RPM and Q-jet ran 11.70-11.80's.

Look at Dale's 66-406, tiny cam, tiny exhaust, tight converter and 3.08's----12teens!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike Goble said:
Your cardomain page puts your car at 500 hp and 2500#? This sure doesn't compute to 106 mph in the quarter. You should be running much better than that. I would run a dual plane manifold at least until the car was running 11.50's @ 118-120 before I tried the tunnel ram. My 3475# 67 ran 11.76 @ 116 with a Performer RPM on a mild 406.
Car was never dynoed, but i think around 500 at the fly wheel sound close from compairing other combos. maybe Im wrong? but it weighs just a hair over 2500 without me and low on gas maybe a bit more since I added a stereo and back seat?? . I would love to get in the 11,s I decidedd tonight that the single I have is going on. Ill see how that works for awhile! at least i can now fit a cowl induction hood on it and drive in the rain if I have to!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Car was never dynoed, but i think around 500 at the fly wheel sound close from compairing other combos. maybe Im wrong? but it weighs just a hair over 2500
Well, considering it takes about 300 h.p. to go 12.70's at 2750lbs. I'd say you are missing a WHOLE bunch of power somewhere.
At your weight and 500 h.p. you would be well into the 10's

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
From my testing, those camel hump heads don't flow enough air to support 500 Hp.
Your track times give it away. Calculating From your ET, MPH and weight you are making a lot less HP than you think.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I finally got new heads for my 400 ,215 cc iron eagles 64cc chambers and 2.05 valves, replaceing camelbacks(finally!). I had a tunnel ram setup on it last year. But with the fuel cost and lots of guys saying-It would be faster without that tunnel- I guess I am going to try one carb. I have a weiand excellerator and 800cfm holley ready to go. But wonder if there is a better way to go?. I want it to go as fast as it can. best so far 12.70,s..
It has a stock crank w/5.7 rods and .020 pisons. 280 duration 535 lift solid cam and I want to keep it below 6000rpms. using 30"tall tires anda 4.33 gear 3500 stall th350.. thanks for any advice. the car is in the barn with the heads on just waiting for me to decide on the intake??????:confused:
didnt chk the date posted but anyhoo,u will LOVE the car with those heads!I have similar set up with a air gap rpm and went from 12.80 to 11.70 heads only and mine were the smaller 200cc enjoy:yes::yes::yes::D:D:D:DOH by the way I only had 3.73s u will probably crack 11.50s wait wait where u in NY? not Long Island???got a turquoise 66 myself...drive it 110 miles to E-Town with little 235/60/15 MT drag radials,hoping to go 11.20 next visit as I am adding hooker headers w/evac system instead of the little 1.5 inch shorties,moroso springs and changed from stock w/p and fan to all electrics also going to try 1.6 rockers on the intakes as I have a single profile 248/248 @50dur and 520/520 lift Idles like a dream .I shoulda went 246/256 dur but only has 8.8-9.0 to one compression .Me so sorry always ramble on an on an on......if u by city or on L.I. email me we get together in the spring to go to some sic shows on Long Island...email [email protected]r saw an ugly 66 nova

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would have to agree with you guys about the RPM air gap and I'd use either a 750 or 850. But since you already have the carb and intake use it. I would even try a 1" spacer, I'd be curious to know how a open spacer vs a 4 hole spacer would do on your intake. I've seen those HVH 4 hole spacers pick up 14ft/lbs tq and 11 hp(peak) on the dyno.

One of the car mags did a manifold test a few years back and they tested a tunnel ram. It made more torque than any of the single planes across the board and a bit more peak HP. I dig tunnel rams too. Try them both out and report back!!!:D

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
too much gear ,,

i think he's got too much gear for that combo ,, if i was going to use bottom end torque to do the job by staying under 6000, i'd switch to around a 373 gear and maybe going to a 4500 converter.

I put a tunnel ram on a mild 350 once , I was amazed how it helped it but with other issues. What carbs are you using with the tunnel ram ?? I don't like the Weiand Exelerator intakes that much. But you could try it with they divider in or out , see if it makes a difference. I'd switch to a Team G or Hurricane intake.

·
Registered
290 Posts
intake

Well im leaning back towards the tunnel ram. man it sure looks alot cooler than 1 round air cleaner sitting low. tough decision:confused: :confused:
I have the single setup all ready to go also. I might flip a coin tonight !
I know that the heads alone should help alot. I sure want to see a real low 12 this year. decisions?????
you should be faster than high 12's i think you should be some where in the high 11'with you combo,try the weiand team g with the low rise,is there a reason you only want to spin it to 6 grand, what is the power range of the cam,i think your leaving power on the table if youre only taking it to 6 grand i think between 6200 and 6500 youll find more power, maybe shifting at alil higher rpm..

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's about what I was thinking his Nova should run--My old 391" with a Performer RPM and Q-jet ran 11.70-11.80's.

Look at Dale's 66-406, tiny cam, tiny exhaust, tight converter and 3.08's----12teens!
for one thing he is not spining it high enough heck with those heads and cam it should put it higher than 6 grand that why he's only running high 12's,at 2500lbs with 500 horse virtual engine says bout 11.10- 11.30's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts