Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I TOOK MY INTAKE TO THE LOCAL SAND BLASTING COMPANY AND HAD IT BLASTED. CAME OUT KINDA LIKE A DARK ALUM COLOR. HE TOLD ME TO GIVE IT A COAT OF HIGH TEMP CLEAR, SO I USED HEADER SATIN CLEAR. AFTER I PUT IT ON I SPILLED SOME GAS ON IT AND YES, IT TOOK THE CLEAR OFF IN DIFFERENT SPOTS. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WEAR I CAN GET IT BLASTED USING WALNUT SHELLS. I E-MAILED EDELBROCK AND THATS WHAT THEY RECOMMENED USING TO GET A NEW INTAKE FINISH LOOK. NEXT TIME NO CLEAR!! I LIVE IN R.I. BUT DON'T MIND SHIPPING IT IF I GET THE FINISH IM LOOKING FOR. THE PLACE I WENT DOESN'T USE WALNUT SHELLS.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!:confused:

STEVE W

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
i painted mine base/clear (nexa autocolor)with a very fine silver basecoat and that was 4 years ago.looks awesome,cleans up easily and is imperveous to almost everything,except brakefluid.remember that aluminum oxidizes almost immediately,so prep and paint it the same day.use a good quality etch primer prior to applying basecoat.every one said it wouldn't take the heat,but i did the engine block in red base clear and it hasn't peeled or discolored.
thx,cj.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
steve w said:
Glass Bead????

Steve W
I agree with the glass bead suggestion, will bring it back to a nice satin and also seems to harden or to make the ali less porus and stains are a lot easier to remove.

cheers
jim

I

·
0 Posts
After getting it glass bead blasted, sneak it in to the kitchen sink and Brillo pad it by hand. Use as hot a water as you can stand. Brillo padding it closes the pores opened by the blasting, and helps a ong way to keep the dirt out of the aluminum.

This is the finish I do to my aluminum body'd distributor conversions.

Do this to a scrap of aluminum to see if you like it first.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I glass beaded an intake and then had it powder coated a light gray color...turned out real nice and is easy to clean.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
A friend of mine had an intake that was polished and he didn't like the shiny finish, so he had it glass beaded; gave it a really nice smooth satin finish that cleans up real easy.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
intake finish..

Eastwood makes two paints: Aluma-Blast and a grey cast aluminum....I did a 163 with the Aluma-Blast and it looks great...tried their cast finish on a fuel pump and it looks awesome...I would probably use the cast finish on the intake on a future project...

It's alive.....wilma:shh:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
intake

Well, I Dropped It Off To A Guy Today To Glass Bead It. He Said When He Gets Done It Will Look New Again. We Will See.
I Also Like The Idea Of Ii Slows Link. Anybody Used Them???

Steve W

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
steve w said:
Well, I Dropped It Off To A Guy Today To Glass Bead It. He Said When He Gets Done It Will Look New Again. We Will See.
I Also Like The Idea Of Ii Slows Link. Anybody Used Them???

Steve W
i dont think anybody on this web site has but I know people for v8buick.com has and we have very good feed back from them. this is not a factory looking finish but it does have polished look to it with out being smooth.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I've been glass beading aluminium manifolds and SS stuff forever. They look good as long as the glass beads aren't dirty and old. If you use the glass beads to clean rusty steel when you bead blast aluminium or SS it has those metal fragments mixed in the glass beads you're using and makes the aluminium or SS rust or discolor. If you use clean beads the manifolds always look nice. People are always happier to pay for their stuff when it's painted and bead blasted so it looks new........LOL. RM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts