Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I STILL CAN FIGUER OUT WHY MY PANEL LIGHTS DONT TURN ON.IVE CHECKED ALL LIGHT BULBS ALL PLUGS ,CHANGED SWITCH LIGHT, CHECKED GROUNDS .THERES POWER GOING THRU BUT THEY DONT WANT TO TURN ON I TOOK THE PLUG OF THE PANEL AND CLEANED THE TERMINALS WITH SAND PAPER AND STILL NO LUCK.DO I NEED TO BUY ANOTHERE PANEL:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Can you put a test light on the panel contacts to see if they are working?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I TOOK THE PANEL PLUG AND CHECKED THEM WITH A TEST LIGHT AND IT HAS POWER EVEN WHEN I HOOKED IT BACK I PUT THE TEST LIGHT THRU THE BACK OF THE PLUG AND TURND ON THE SWITCH AND THERES POWER GING THRU.I ALSO PUT AN EXTRA WIRE FOR GROUND AND NOTHING.THE ONLY LIIGHT THAT KEEP TURNING ON ARE THE WIPER LIGHT AND THE HEATER PANEL LIGHT :confused:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I TOOK THE PANEL PLUG AND CHECKED THEM WITH A TEST LIGHT AND IT HAS POWER EVEN WHEN I HOOKED IT BACK I PUT THE TEST LIGHT THRU THE BACK OF THE PLUG AND TURND ON THE SWITCH AND THERES POWER GING THRU.I ALSO PUT AN EXTRA WIRE FOR GROUND AND NOTHING.THE ONLY LIIGHT THAT KEEP TURNING ON ARE THE WIPER LIGHT AND THE HEATER PANEL LIGHT :confused:
Might want to look closely at your ground strap system behind that instument panel. When you bolt the plastic instrument panel to the dashboard there is a ground strap that makes contact.

There should also be a ground strap going from the wiper/headlight switch area to the metal speedo housing where all your bulbs are.

Check to make sure this strap is there and also check the screw that holds the ground strap. If this screw gets loose or is missing, no ground and no lights.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Can you try a jumper wire with alligator clips and put 1 end on a bulb socket and the other to a known good ground? (Neg battery post or engine block)
Another stupid question but I will toss it out there as I have seen it in shops before.Are you sure you have the correct bulbs? Sounds like you have checked everything else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well guys i put a ground cable to the back of the speedometer and nothing.i no i had told you guys i had taken all the light bulbs and not one was blown out but anyways i just went to autozone and got all new light bulbs. while i was replacing them i was cleaning the contacts just to be save i cleaned them up to. so i went and put them back and guess what now ive got lights on my speedometer:yes: thankyou to everybody for your input. this nova site forum its great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts