Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dose anybody can tell me if theres a relay for the lights on the instrument panel or what can cuase them not to work. ive check the fueses and they are ok need help .:

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
What year car? There should be a reostat somewhere,twisting the knob?A lot of times you car twist the knob back and forth and clean the reostat contacts and make it work

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its my 74 chevy nova i have already bought the light switch but i havent had a chance to install it. what it dose is when i twist the knob the lights from the heater panel they turn on but not the speedometer lights.so maybe the switch is not making good contact.:confused:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Not sure how your lights ground but.......

If they are like the 1st and 2nd gens, the socket itself has metal retainers that act as grounds when they are pressed into the cluster. None of mine worked until I pulled them and cleaned each area they pressed into of rust build up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this weekend i replaced the light switch and no luck i checked al the light bulbs and they are fine i dont want to give up but man!! . only the lights from the heater panel and the wiper switch turn on what els could it be:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
this weekend i replaced the light switch and no luck i checked al the light bulbs and they are fine i dont want to give up but man!! . only the lights from the heater panel and the wiper switch turn on what els could it be:confused:
Take the light sockets out and put an ohmmeter to the two metal tabs. You should get a near zero reading with the bulbs installed. The bulbs will have some resistance. If you don't get a near zero reading, clean the contacts on the light sockets or you can get new ones at any auto parst stores. They are still readily available. I've replace most all of mine to get them working.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you test the bulbs in or out of their plastic holders? I had the same problem, then figured out there was corrision inside the plastic bulb holders where they contacted the wires that stick out of the bulbs. Try taking your 2 working bulbs (complete with their current sockets) and swapping them around with the others to eliminate the bulbs/sockets as the problem.

If that is not the problem the printed circut could on the back of the gauge panel could be damaged. Double check all your fuses before you begin the messy task of pulling out your gauges. The contact points on the wiring harness plug could be corroded as well.

If you have no blown fuses, good contacts at the bulbs, and through out the printed circut, it could be the wiring harness itself.

With some time and patience you can use a 12v electric tester to try and pin point your problem. Somewhere on this site I have seen info on gauge panel wiring by wire color code.

If it is just the contact points in the bulb holders, soak them for a few minutes in a chrome wheel cleaner solution (basically acid), rinse them off, dry them out and they should be good as new.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
There's a small ground wire that goes from teh instrument cluster to the body of the car under the dash, make sure it's still hooked up. It'll clip onto the instrument cluster, and the other end should be bolted to the steel housing that the steerting column bolts to.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Someone else may be able to say for sure, but many cars have the brake lights on the same fuse w/instrument lights. Brake lights working?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
All the dash lights are on the same circuit, so the heater light is working, the switch and fuse are fine. Iwould look at the ground and the sockets. The sockets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys ill check the ground wires and all the light bulbs.ill try to get to the car by friday ive got alot of work. but ill let you guys know how everything went:eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i worked on the car today no luck with the lights on the spedometer. but i did find something wrong the all the lights from the trunk are burnt and corroded i can not take of the light bulbs out i will have to buy 4 new plugs.do you think this would cause for the othere lights not to work.:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts