Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my 71 SS Nova. I am having a problem getting all the instrument cluster lights to work. Some do, some do not. My clock/tach area lights up but my fuel gauge does not. I have replaced ALL the bulbs-hell, now even the turn signal indicators are out! Might I have an issue with the circuit board surround? Any help would be great! Thanks! kfoz

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Hi kfoz,

The little plastic twist-in bulb holders have a couple of metal "ears" on each side that make contact with the traces of the printed circuit on the back of the instrument panel. It's not uncommon for those little "ears" to get flattened out a bit and no longer make good contact with the printed circuit. Removing the holders, gently bending those "ears" up a little, and re-inserting the holders will often cure the problem.

While you have them out, it's also a good idea to check the metal contacts down inside the bulb holders. Make sure they fit snugly against the bases of the bulbs. Carefully bend them out a little using a small screwdriver or pick if necessary.

If the above suggestions don't do the trick, take a close look at the contacts on the rectangular instrument panel plug. Make sure none of them are flattened out or otherwise bent down close to the plastic plug housing. Gently pry them back up/out if necessary. Finally, you might need to pull the instrument cluster out of the dash so you can examine the printed circuit for damaged contact pads and/or broken traces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
71 dash light problems fixed!

Thank you Ray. I pryed up the prongs in the black plastic light sockets and everything works now. Thank you very much. kfoz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts