Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The six is longer than a v8, does that mean i can't hook up the trans first and then install both at the same time.
I was going to jack the Deuce up real high to give me lots of room underneath to swing the trans up.

Will this work..fellow Sixers?

Or should I install engine first or the trans first?

What is the best way?

Thanks Guys and sorry if I got hot on the subject of 65 eyebrows and the price of used parts going sooooo high!

·
Registered
508 Posts
James, you have a few choices. You can remove the radiator support to make things REALLY easy. There are some rivits you'd have to cut through to do that, but it's not too bad with a dremel and cut off discs and chasing with a chisel and hammer (for example) and you can use bolts to replace them. That gives you a straight shot in, if you're doing it alone. Of course, this means the radiator support and grill must all come out.
If you've got a buddy and a hoist and are not inhibited by heidth in garage where you are working, you may have to reposition your lift chain a time or two, but you can still go in with the car flat. You'll have to get a pretty good angle. You'd have to have one guy operating the hoist and another under the car to catch the tailshaft and to guide it. You're not going to have to lift anything by the tailshaft, but you will have to muscle it a minor amount. I've also done this alone by putting a floorjack under the tailshaft and that gets pretty aggravating because you'll get it going ok and a wheel on the floorjack will snag and will go the wrong way. If you're going to leave the radiator support in place, do yourself a favor and have a buddy under there to catch the tailshaft and muscle it a little. I've done it both ways, and I prefer to take the extra time to remove the radiator support and go straight in from the front. Brett in Ala.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radiator Support

If I move (cut) out the radiator support will it go back right? and be as strong as it needs to be?

If so this seems like a cool and easy way to do it. I will absolutely have a friend there and we are doing it out side as soon as it stops raining on my parade!

Thanks Brett and I know you have done this before, but alone? Dang you are a stud!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
When the wife and I did the R&R on her 62 we did the engine and tranny as one peice. I have a comealong rigged up on my garage rafers. Worked real good she just had to lift the ack end of the tranny to go over the core support. We did this when she was eight months pregnent. I really hate installing trannys from the ground. Not bad if you have a jack. Yes the core suppoers come out real eady. My 63 did not have any rivets on it just a few bolts.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
1963DUCE100 said:
When the wife and I did the R&R on her 62 we did the engine and tranny as one peice. I have a comealong rigged up on my garage rafers. Worked real good she just had to lift the ack end of the tranny to go over the core support. We did this when she was eight months pregnent.
Wow, Good wife. Mine couldnt even run a jack. I was like give it a small pump. PUMP PUMP PUMP PUMP. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Ok just let it down a little. SWISHH all the way to the floor. After about 30 minutes of never her never understanding it, I finally gave up.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You should have no problem doing the installation with engine and trans connected and no need to cut or remove the core support. One of the screw type engine levelers makes it easier as does having some help. It can be done by one person, but getting the trans in place without digging into the floor takes a lot of running back and forth between the cherry picker and the back of the trans.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i would not suggest removing the radiator support, its just alot of unnecessary work. i have taken my engine out/in of my car 2 times and i did it different every time. the best way for me ( i have a painted engine compartment) was to do it in two stages... put the engine in and lower it down in the back while jacking the front of the car up. then slide the tranny under the car and bolt it up. when i first had the car and it was still a piece, we pulled it out with everything tranny and all, but i would have scratched the hell out of my engine compartment if it had been painted...

something to think about, think it through and make sure you take into account everything that could go wrong with the way you choose to put it back in...

good luck

·
Registered
508 Posts
Not saying I've removed the radiator support every time. It is the way I prefer to do it though, BUT none of the cars I've messed with have been in final paint or final assy. It's not hard at all to remove a radiator support, but you're right, it's NOT necessary.
The core support is removed by about 4 bolts down each side of the support where it joins the radiator support. Also, there are about 4 large rivets at the bottom, unless someone has removed it before and replaced rivets with bolts. Don't cut it. Never cut a radiator support across the top. My 55 Chevy was ruined that way and the bolts to remove it property were readily available.
There will also be 1 or two bolts (if I remember right) inside each headlight bucket area. I've done it both ways, but admit I have never invested in one of those levellers, I just use a peice of heavy chain ran to back of one head across the engine mounted to either exhaust bolt on opposite head front, or accy bolt (if there on head) on same front side.
As for installing motor with tranny attached alone, doesn't make you a mule, I learned years ago not to count on anyone but myself, so I've learned ways of doing nearly everything alone, or inventing them as I go, and as pointed out, if you do the floorjack on the tailshaft route, it's a royal pain in the butt, which is why (if you've got a buddy who will showup) you put them under there to catch the tailshaft and guide....
When you've rented engine hoists when you're young and broke and it's your only ride and none of your "know it all" buddies show up and can't be reached on the phone on the morning of the engine pull and swap, you learn pretty quick not to depend on folks. Brett.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts