Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install a vent line and return line ports in my gas tank. What do I need to do this? I've looked at the bulk head fittings from Earls and Aeroquip, but it doesn't look like it will seal against the tank. Also, do I need to run a hard line in the tank?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 71 and I bought a non ECC tank. I need a vent so I plan to put a -4 or similar in and a -8 for a future return. I don't plan on FI right now, but if cutting holes in my tank I a may as well do both.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I am in the same boat. 71 car with eec but I bought a non eec tank. Don't want that box in my trunk nor do I want a canister. Will simply be using a vented cap. My plan is a single 3/8" feed from the sender with no vapor return or fuel return lines. Doesn't answer you q directly but wondering if this setup would suit your needs.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finding a vent cap that will fit the tank is the challenge. I've asked that question before and the popular response is to drill a hole in the gas cap. If you find a vent cap to fit, I'd really like to know

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Neither the vent or the return line need to extend into the tank because neither need to "Pick-up" fuel. I've seen the extra tubes brazed into the sender assembly and/or filler neck. Either one works just fine. Either is easily done on a NEW tank that's never had fuel in it. If it has, unless you've done it before and know how, take it to a welding/fab or Radiator shop and let them do it!! Old fumes still make a BIG BOOM.:yes:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Finding a vent cap that will fit the tank is the challenge. I've asked that question before and the popular response is to drill a hole in the gas cap. If you find a vent cap to fit, I'd really like to know
I just called Auto City Classics where I got my tank (Spectra Premium GM46B) and they don't deal with caps. That's probably why I didn't get one when I bought the tank. I may just throw the tank in the back of the truck and drive it over to NAPA and find a vented cap. How hard can that be with tank in hand? Has anyone else tried this?

I'm going to check my other catalogs to see what's available (classic industries, jw, etc)

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brazing lines to the pickup sounds like the best option. I'll probably take it to a radiator shop and get it fixed up.

If walkerjay can find the cap, I'll take the easy way out.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Before you start brazing away, how about using a similiar fuel sending unit from a later model year car?? I'm pretty sure that they were all the same sizes all the way up to 79 and should have the necessary vent lines already there. Of course, they will be pre bent in ways you don't want but, you can always modify to suit your needs.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can get the vented pickup for $90, but I'm being stuborn and don't want to buy it.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I don't think I would drill a hole in a gas cap.

On a vented cap, does the air just flow one way (into the tank) or does air move both ways?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I don't think the first two caps with work. The locking cap stands a chance. I'd be interested.

I don't think I would drill a hole in a gas cap.

On a vented cap, does the air just flow one way (into the tank) or does air move both ways?
I'm not keen on drilling a hole in the cap either. It seams like gas would be pushed out under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
sorry, no luck at Napa. The guy spent a good amount of time, checking a lot of older catalogs, mainly a Balkamp catalog, brought the tank so we tried several....no luck,. Only found a non vented cap. hmmmm, now what am I gonna do. Will be checking into those Ground Up caps next. Napa guy said to give him the GU part # and he may be able to reference it.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry, no luck at Napa. The guy spent a good amount of time, checking a lot of older catalogs, mainly a Balkamp catalog, brought the tank so we tried several....no luck,. Only found a non vented cap. hmmmm, now what am I gonna do. Will be checking into those Ground Up caps next. Napa guy said to give him the GU part # and he may be able to reference it.

I thought you might have a problem. The non-vented tanks are different than vented. I guess they did it so you couldn't mix up the caps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts