Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys replace the floors? I plan to replace the fronts, not the tunnel, just the two (2) front floors. do you butt weld or lap weld?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
You can do an overlap weld if you like but it depends on what you want for a finished product as the overlaps will be seen from the bottom side. Overlapping also leads to further issues of trapping moisture in the overlapped areas. Butt welding will take more time but is a much better job in my opinion but I am no expert.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,321 Posts
I too just have an opinion based on my welding skills. If you know that you got the rust trimmed back, completely, which is what you want, butt welds come out real good with proper heat. Figured that out now that I have more practice. You may already know that since I don't know your level of experience welding. I was a novice welder when I did mine so I went the lap route. I did a complete stitch weld top and bottom with a 1/4" lap, yeah double work, then used a good seam sealer top and bottom then put the under coating down. I had the car on a rotisserie so it was easy to do both sides. You can barely see it from the underside. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will do the but weld. It just looks so good sitting there as it is. I am working in the trunk now and that will be next on the list

thanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you haven't bought the parts yet you may want to consider the whole front section.In my opinion its easier, especially if your not an accomplished welder.Drill all your holes along the perimeter and spot weld it in. No long welds and no worry of warpage, plus undetectable if done right. The hardest part is taking the old one out. Something to consider.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't bought the parts yet you may want to consider the whole front section.In my opinion its easier, especially if your not an accomplished welder.Drill all your holes along the perimeter and spot weld it in. No long welds and no worry of warpage, plus undetectable if done right. The hardest part is taking the old one out. Something to consider.
Too late, I bought 1/2 floors. I am a decent welder, no pro by far, but my first frame off was a 1979 c10 I finished about 4 years ago and took 1st at the Chicago Super Chevy Show

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
floor pans

where did you buy the 1/2 pans because i thought they were just left and right available? also, Zonie, where did that pan pic come from?

thanks,
Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts