Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!! I have a little bit of a project for myself. My '63 blew an engine and I'm thinking of putting a 85 model 350 in it to replace the L6. I have a few questions about how to make it work. First off, what am I going to have to do about motor mounts? Second, I have a three speed column shift that I wanted to keep if possible, can I?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
yes on the V8 mounts...I put a shifter on the floor in mine...You'll need brackets for the pivot ball on the block...for the Zbar..You'll need headers for V8 application...Also, look for the front sump oil pan, pump and dipstick tube. You'll be able to use your bell housing Clutch, flywheel, and most of your other parts...I was able to reuse my Alt, power steering pump, Starter....The 6 cyl radiator will be affected for the cooling...I'm in the process of getting a 3-4 row..With shroud.....You'll need Belts, maybe different pulley's ..Depending on what your V8 has on it..I just did that swap..so if you would like further info don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'll do my best to answer any questions I can....

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Why not just find another 6 cyl for it? Upgrade to a 230 or 250 block and build it up from there. Going that route, it would be less expensive because you wouldn't have to change everything else to make a V8 work.
The original 1st- 2nd gen stock front sump V8 oil pans wont work on a '85 350 because of the longer crank stroke and dipstick kickout. you'll have to go with an aftermarket pan with the related oil pump pickup tube. Also along with headers, you'll need a new dual exhaust system as well.
I was considering putting one of my V8s in my 64. But after I added up the costs of everything, I decided to keep my 6 cyl and rebuild it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Definitly need the v-8 frame mounts....have them if you need them but not sure about the linkage deal.
Tom
I THINK I NEED A SET,MY ENGINE SIT UP HIGHER 2 INCH MORE THAN ANY OTHER 66-67 NOVA I HAVE SEEN,i CAN'T GET MY NEW FANCY VALVE COVERS ON ,THE DRIVERS SIDE.IT HITS THE LUMP IN THE FIREWALL MY WIPER TRANS,HOPING THAT MY MOUNTS ARE CRAPPY AFTERMARKET,OR THE MOTOR MOUNTS ARE SCREWY.lET ME KNOW WHAT U WANT FOR THE FRAME MOUNTS.ALSO COULD YOU TELL ME IF THE LEFT AND RIGHT MOTOR MOUNTS ARE DIFFERENT.i HEARD THAT ONE IS WIDER THAN THE OTHER? U CAN MESSAGE ME "ASKGENE" OR CALL 631-585-8228 AND LV MESSAGE THANXS IN ADVANCE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts