Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sort've a broad question, but I've loved the metal blowers rising up from out of the hood since I was a kid. What exactly can I expect in terms of installing a metal blower, I'm not looking for anything huge or ridiculous, just one that just manages to poke out over my cowl. Thumper71 has an amazing looking blower, I was thinking of one of those blowers with the three red holes (as you can tell I know a TON about blowers:D). Is it as simply as bolting it to the top of your carb? I have a 4 barrel on a 468. It's more for esthetics than actual performance. Any help, tips suggestions would be really appreciated- Thanks- B

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
A buddy of mine runs one like it on his hot rod lake boat
The only place one of those fake scoops belongs is on the bottom of the lake--not on an engine.
Byoul, that is not a blower, it is a scoop..at least the fake ones like in the link Bill posted. Bill has the real deal on his Nova; it is an injector, which sits on top of a blower(supercharger) or it can also be attached to a tunnel ram manifold. The fake injector scoops are just tacky looking things that posers stick on their cars..do you really want to be like them? Show some taste and keep your hood closed until you have something worth showing!
Here is a photo of Bill's scoop--doesn't that look nice?
BTW, you won't get a shot like this with a fake one!!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
The only place one of those fake scoops belongs is on the bottom of the lake--not on an engine.
Byoul, that is not a blower, it is a scoop..at least the fake ones like in the link Bill posted. Bill has the real deal on his Nova; it is an injector, which sits on top of a blower(supercharger) or it can also be attached to a tunnel ram manifold. The fake injector scoops are just tacky looking things that posers stick on their cars..do you really want to be like them? Show some taste and keep your hood closed until you have something worth showing!
Here is a photo of Bill's scoop--doesn't that look nice?
BTW, you won't get a shot like this with a fake one!!

there is a car in this picture??:devil::devil::D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Whatever floats your boat, man. But if you drive your car, be aware that you'll be cutting a hole in your hood - not especially good if you get caught in the weather.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Whatever floats your boat, man. But if you drive your car, be aware that you'll be cutting a hole in your hood - not especially good if you get caught in the weather.
All natural water injection.:D

I'm sure the piston tops would be carbon free within a few seconds.:yes:

:poke::poke::rotfl::rotfl:

I always thought having one of the fake scoops would kinda be like putting a fat pair of slicks on the BACK of a Honda Civic. Some might think it looks cool but anyone who knows anything about cars knows it's a poser. :slap:

It rates right up there with the twin fart cans hanging under the bumpers of the ricers.:yes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of good advice here. Considering I do live in BC, and it is prone to rain, could it really be a serious issue with the hole in the hood? Something I'm wondering now is if the blower may pull water into the carb, is that realistic? I'd love a blower on the car, and the mr gasket one is within my budget, how much more expensive and involved is getting a real blower, like the one in the pic?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ohhh haha thanks Prostreet, I've been looking for the correct term all over the internet in order to look it up at parts suppliers but I could never find it! I just posted my 100th post, I'd say another couple thousand and I'll finally start to sound like I know what I'm talking about :yes:

Thanks for the thread walkerjay, that was a really informative post

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
This is fuel injected scoop sitting on a supercharger. You are talking big power and big money for the injection scoop and blower

This is an Injector looking scoop air cleaner that sits on a carb bolted to an intake

This is an injector style scoop sitting on a roots style carburated supercharger (blower).

This is the scoop on a tunnel ram

People can use this style on a supercharger or for a tunnel ram dual carb intake however its only function is an air cleaner. The only real functioning scoop if the one for fuel injection. In my opinion they dont look bad on a tunnel ram or on top of a supercharger with carbs but to each his own I am only trying to help let you know what they are and for. To buy one of the enderle style bug catcher scoops above will run you $700 plus but they are high quality and they are the same as the actual fuel injection scoops but they are only an air cleaner.

I was considering going with a blower so we used this tunnel ram set up as a mock up to see what we were working with if you want an idea. I would say we would sell that scoop, intake, and carbs but I got rid of them awhile back. Personally if I were you I would go with a single carb and intake set up with a k&n air cleaner. If you get into running superchargers and dual carbs it can require alot of know how and tunning.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Lots of good advice here. Considering I do live in BC, and it is prone to rain, could it really be a serious issue with the hole in the hood? Something I'm wondering now is if the blower may pull water into the carb, is that realistic? I'd love a blower on the car, and the mr gasket one is within my budget, how much more expensive and involved is getting a real blower, like the one in the pic?
For Bills blown injected set up you are talking passed $10k easily and also the engine has to be suited to be a forced induction application

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Prostreet that was really awesome info, now I totally get it. I'm a university student, so although it doesn't sound like everyones a fan, I'm probably going to go with the jegs air cleaner scoop. I've always loved the looks of those scoops, and I have to remain within my budget. Does anyone have any tips or warnings when it comes to cutting a hole in the hood?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Prostreet that was really awesome info, now I totally get it. I'm a university student, so although it doesn't sound like everyones a fan, I'm probably going to go with the jegs air cleaner scoop. I've always loved the looks of those scoops, and I have to remain within my budget. Does anyone have any tips or warnings when it comes to cutting a hole in the hood?
Put SOLID motor mounts in it so whatever is poking out of the hood doesn't rock over and crash into the passenger side of the hole in the hood.:D

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
It doesn't matter what other people like, but what you like. Based on all the pics, several people have them.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi, sort've a broad question, but I've loved the metal blowers rising up from out of the hood since I was a kid. What exactly can I expect in terms of installing a metal blower, I'm not looking for anything huge or ridiculous, just one that just manages to poke out over my cowl. Thumper71 has an amazing looking blower, I was thinking of one of those blowers with the three red holes (as you can tell I know a TON about blowers:D). Is it as simply as bolting it to the top of your carb? I have a 4 barrel on a 468. It's more for esthetics than actual performance. Any help, tips suggestions would be really appreciated- Thanks- B
Kind of like this

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Kind of like this
How did you get the nice rounded looking edge on the hole in your hood. Doesn't look like the work of a sawzall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts